The Patriot Post® · Biden's Record-Shattering Border Crisis Worsens
By the Republican National Committee
THE WORST MONTH AT THE BORDER ON RECORD
- Trying to hide just how bad the crisis at the border has become, the Biden administration released December border numbers in a late Friday night news dump.
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) data shows 251,487 illegal immigrants were apprehended attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border in December, making this the highest total for December in DHS history.
- That is a 366 percent increase from the average number of November apprehensions during the Trump administration.
- 12,298 unaccompanied childrenwere apprehended.
- At least 38 people on the terror watchlist have been apprehended trying to enter the U.S. between ports of entry so far this fiscal year, including 17 in December.
- 170,512 illegal immigrantswere apprehended from countries outside the Northern Triangle and Mexico, showing that Biden’s crisis is global.
5.6 million illegal immigrants have crossed the border since Biden took office.
- This includes the more than 5 million illegal immigrants that Customs and Border Protection has apprehended and the 1.1 million gotaways that have escaped past Border Patrol into the U.S.
- Border officials say that the official number of gotaways vastly undercounts the illegal immigrants who make it into the U.S.
- Despite this ongoing crisis, Kamala Harris still claims “we have a secure border.”
- Biden has installed a de facto amnesty program in which nearly 50,000 illegal immigrants have had their cases dismissed in court due to his administration’s failure to file the proper paperwork.
- Homeland Security Investigations estimates that Mexican cartels are now making $13 billion a year smuggling illegal immigrants into the U.S, 26 times what they made in 2018.
DRUGS ARE POURING OVER THE BORDER INTO OUR COMMUNITIES
- Illicit drugs are flowing into the country at an alarming rate, with only 5 to 10 percent being intercepted as border officials struggle to contain the smuggling.
- 2,414 pounds of deadly fentanyl and 10,308 pounds of methamphetamine were seized at the southern border in December alone, with much more getting through.
- Joshua Sharfstein of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: “If they’re seizing a lot, it’s because a lot is coming in.”
- The amount of fentanyl seized in November is the equivalent of more than 547 million lethal doses.
- Deadly rainbow fentanyl, which is designed by cartels to target children and teens, has been increasingly caught crossing the border and is now in at least 26 states.
- Fentanyl is now the leading cause of death for Americans age 18 to 45, with the number killed by the drug up 94 percent since 2019.
- The DEA seized more than double the amount of fentanyl-laced, fake prescription pills in 2022 than it seized in 2021.
- In just the first three months of FY 2023, the Nogales, Arizona port of entry has already seized more fentanyl than the entire previous fiscal year, which was a record year.
BIDEN IGNORES THE SOUTHERN BORDER AS HIS HUMANITARIAN CATASTROPHE WORSENS
- Only after two years of intense criticism did Biden finally relent and go to the border for a “tightly controlled visit” criticized as nothing more than a “dog and pony show.”
- Meanwhile, Border Patrol agents are left demoralized and “beyond frustrated” by the Biden administration’s handling of the crisis.
- Despite Biden’s promise of a “fair and humane immigration system,” his open border policies aren’t compassionate; they are deadly.
- Earlier this month in southern New Mexico, a suspected human smuggler shot a Border Patrol agent in the chest in an attempt to get away, later rolling the car in a crash and leaving two others severely injured.
- Two weeks ago in Santa Teresa, New Mexico, two died and eight others were injured in a rollover crash, with the vehicle suspected to be involved in a human smuggling operation.
- Last week near Eagle Pass, Texas, nine illegal immigrants were found locked in a rail car, all suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
- Unaccompanied children have become a “painfully common sight” at the southern border, with three young girls – aged one, six, and nine years old – recently found abandoned near the Rio Grande.
- Sex offenders are also coming across the border, with Border Patrol arresting four convicted sex offenders – three of which whose records involve minors – in just the first week of January.
BIDEN AND DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS ARE TO BLAME FOR THE BORDER CRISIS
- Biden’s failed policies have created the crisis at the southern border.
- In Biden’s first 100 days he took more than 94 executive actions on immigration, including halting construction of the border wall and ending the successful “Remain in Mexico” policy.
- Illegal immigrants have confirmed this: “The border is open…everybody believes that the border is open. It’s open because we enter. We come in, free, no problem…We came illegally.”
- Meanwhile, a new training video from ICE reveals the Biden administration lost at least 150,000 illegal immigrants during the summer of 2021.
- With the border left wide open, fears are mounting that dangerous cartel inmates part of a recent Mexican prison break will take advantage and flee into the U.S.
- It’s not just Biden; Democrats in Congress have consistently voted for policies that make the border and country less secure.
- Democrats aided sanctuary cities and sent stimulus checks to illegal immigrants, opposed legislation to fund Title 42, and repeatedly voted against funding the border wall.
- Democrats voted against hiring more border agents, deporting felons, preventing illegal immigrants convicted of crimes from becoming permanent residents — and voted against strengthening the successful Remain in Mexico policy.
- Democrats voted against funding for counternarcotic operations and ensuring the enforcement of immigration laws at the border.
- Democrats voted against ensuring all local and state law enforcement are permitted to cooperate with federal immigration officials to track illegal immigrants.
- A recent Los Angeles Times/YouGov poll found that more Americans oppose Biden’s immigration policies than support them.