“In the midst of these pleasing ideas we should be unfaithful to ourselves if we should ever lose sight of the danger to our liberties if anything partial or extraneous should infect the purity of our free, fair, virtuous, and independent elections.” —John Adams (1797)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Can’t win elections? Change the rules, say Democrats.
- Dems seek to both quell and compel speech in the name of “equality.”
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. That old adage is problematic for Democrats, however. In their view, if they don’t succeed in winning elections, then it must be the system that is at fault and therefore needs to be changed. How else to explain the growing Democrat calls for radically changing the nation’s electoral system? Hillary Clinton would be president today if it wasn’t for America’s “archaic” Electoral College, Democrats argue, because she won the popular vote.
“Every vote matters,” 2020 presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren declared this week, adding, “and the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.” Agreeing with her sentiments, Democrat presidential hopeful Beto O'Rourke voiced his approval, complaining that as things stand, people “don’t feel like their vote really counts.” Earlier this month, Democrat-controlled Colorado became the 12th state to pass legislation mandating that its Electoral College votes be given to the candidate who wins the national popular vote, irrespective of which candidate wins the vote within the state. Obviously, such laws could effectively negate the unique will and voice of a state’s own citizens.
But Democrats aren’t merely seeking to get rid of the Electoral College; they are also looking to increase their pool of uninformed and easily manipulated voters. Just last week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi advocated lowering the voting age to 16. It’s a lot easier to deceive and entice propagandized schoolchildren who don’t know any better than it is informed adults. No alcohol or guns until 21, on their parents’ insurance until 26, but by golly, let them vote at 16.
Furthermore, seeking to artificially increase their population demographic, Democrats are demanding that the coming 2020 Census not include a citizenship question. The reason: Without the differentiation of citizen versus noncitizen, Democrat “sanctuary” areas, which have attracted a heavy influx of illegal aliens, can claim higher populations and therefore greater electoral representation. On top of this, Democrats often insist on extending voting rights to noncitizens, effectively diminishing the vote of American citizens.
The truth is Democrats aren’t interested in playing by the rules because to do so would require them to abandon much of their leftist, authoritarian ambitions. Instead, they want to change the rules and move the goalposts.
House Democrats reintroduced their so-called “Equality Act” last week. The bill would add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” to the protected classes under the Civil Rights Act of 1964. However, as The Heritage Foundation explains, “Where the original Civil Rights Act of 1964 furthered equality by ensuring that African-Americans had equal access to public accommodations and material goods, the Equality Act would further inequality by penalizing everyday Americans for their beliefs about marriage and biological sex. Similar sexual orientation and gender identity laws at the state and local level have already been used in this way.”
Frankly, the “Equality Act” would step all over Americans’ First Amendment rights. Heritage further highlights five specific groups who would be harmed should the act ever become law: employers and workers, medical professionals, parents and children, women, and nonprofits and volunteers. In other words, the law would directly impact virtually everyone living in America.
This ill-conceived legislation is the kind of heavy-handed, government-forced thinking that many have long warned against. The law would not merely protect those individuals expressing new sexual “norms” or gender “identity” from suffering physical harm; rather it seeks to force all Americans to accept and embrace leftist ideology. It would compel speech. We have already seen examples of this reality, where in Virginia just last year a high-school teacher was fired for his refusal to address a gender-dysphoric individual by her preferred pronoun (him). The teacher argued that to use a pronoun contrary to the biological sex of the student went against his faith, as it would be engaging in a lie. He noted that he believed God created human beings and furthermore determined their biological sex, and therefore the teacher was not free to ignore this reality or pretend otherwise.
Democrats claim the law would ban discrimination, but the reality is that it would simply insert a new and much more dangerous discrimination — a kind of discrimination that runs counter to the Liberty all Americans share under the Constitution. It would effectively create a more “equal” classification of individual whose status would trump the freedom and rights of others. The truth is, this law is not about equality at all; it’s about using the power of government to force others into conforming to the immoral ideals of a protected class. It is in fact evil.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: As World Mourns Mosque Killings, Christian Genocide Continues — Hundreds of Christians have been murdered for their faith just in the last few weeks.
- Drag Queen Sex Offender Reads to Kids — The ultimate danger to kids isn’t this one guy, however; it’s an entire curriculum.
- Build That Wall — Democrats object to border security for a simple reason: They want more voters.
- Video: Left Hypes Mosque Massacre, Ignores Christians Killed by Muslims — In one incident, 49 were killed. In others last week, 69 were slaughtered.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- “The Supreme Court on Tuesday handed the Trump administration a victory in its battle to clamp down on illegal immigration by making it easier to detain immigrants with criminal records,” Fox News reports. Unfortunately, though, the border situation is worsening. According to The Washington Times, “The government is on track to catch nearly 100,000 immigrants crossing the border illegally this month,” which explains the government’s decision to, per The Hill, “stop detaining some migrant families who illegally cross the border in Texas as it copes with overcrowding in detention facilities.” Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen this week stated, “The situation at our Southern border has gone from a crisis, to a national emergency, to a near systemwide meltdown.” On the upside, the Washington Examiner reveals, “The Defense Department has identified $12.8 billion in possible funding that it could use to fulfill President Trump’s call for a border wall.”
- According to The Daily Caller, “Law enforcement officials are confiscating substantially larger amounts of methamphetamine as Mexican drug cartels increasingly push the drug into U.S. markets. A drug-tracking system from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) indicates that a total of 347,807 law enforcement meth seizures were submitted to various labs across the country in 2017, according to a Wall Street Journal report. The number is a 118 percent hike from 2010 submissions. U.S. meth-related deaths hit 6,762 in 2016, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This is approximately 3.5 times the amount in 2011.” Yet Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand this week had the audacity to suggest, “Immigration is not a security issue.”
- Stabbing Trump in the back? “The United States is bristling at the suggestion Germany might miss its own defense spending target, which is already short of the NATO goal. Finance Minister Olaf Scholz’s budget plan … foresees Germany’s defense spending rising to 1.37 percent of national income in 2020, but decline to 1.25 by 2023… NATO countries have pledged to move toward spending 2 percent of GDP on defense and Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government had pledged to increase spending to 1.5 percent by 2024.” (Associated Press)
- “On Tuesday, CNN trumpeted that the network had won the Walter Cronkite Award, administered by USC’s Norman Lear Center and announced by the USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, for the Parkland Townhall in which NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch was booed and even called a ‘murderer,’” according to The Daily Wire. Norman Lear Center director Marty Kaplan groused, “If the press is the ‘enemy of the people,’ then being on this ‘enemies’ list is a badge of honor for these exceptional journalists.” Yet the joke’s on him: The accompanying press release ironically declared, “Cronkite Award Proves That Facts Matter.” The award is as worthless as CNN.
- For the record: “Trump’s judicial nominees are being treated very differently than those of previous presidents. Those 91 judges, for example, have received a total of 1,824 votes against their confirmation in 782 days. When Barack Obama was president, it took 2,123 days to rack up this many negative votes, and he had to appoint 282 judges to do it. Trump’s 91 judges have received more negative confirmation votes than the 2,653 judges confirmed to the same courts during the entire 20th century combined.” (Thomas Jipping, The Heritage Foundation)
- Trouble incoming: “An Islamic State spokesman on Monday called on the group’s followers to violently retaliate against non-believers in response to the massacre of 50 people at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch last week. ‘The scenes of the massacres in the two mosques should wake up those who were fooled, and should incite the supporters of the caliphate to avenge their religion,’ Abu Hassan al-Muhajir said in a 44-minute audio recording.” (National Review)
- The BBC reports, “People don’t become fully ‘adult’ until they’re in their 30s, according to brain scientists. … Research suggests people aged 18 are still going through changes in the brain which can affect behaviour and make them more likely to develop mental health disorders.” But Nancy Pelosi wants to lower the voting age to 16.
- Humor … but true: Cow runs away from Indiana police, blocks traffic, and goes to Chick-fil-A (KUTV)
- Policy: The Resurgent’s Merrie Soltis tackles the complex question of “How Do We Make College More Affordable?”
- Policy: “As the need for electricity to power the nation’s digital economy grows, coal is no longer playing a primary role, and that’s problematic, because it undergirds the electric grid and is the most reliable source of energy,” writes Mark J. Perry in the Washington Examiner. Catch the lowdown here.
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Walter Williams: “Federal prosecutors have charged more than 50 people involved in cheating and bribery in order to get their children admitted to some of the nation’s most prestigious colleges and universities such as Georgetown, Yale, Stanford, University of Texas, University of Southern California and UCLA. … As corrupt and depraved as these recent revelations are, they are only the tip of the iceberg of generalized college corruption and gross dishonesty. … It’s nearly impossible to listen to college presidents, provosts and other administrators talk for more than 15 minutes or so before the words diversity and inclusion drop from their lips. But there’s a simple way to determine just how committed they are to their rhetoric. Ask your average college president, provost or administrator whether he bothers promoting political diversity among faculty. I’ll guarantee that if he is honest — or even answers the question — he will say he doesn’t believe in that kind of diversity and inclusion. According to a recent study, professors who are registered Democrats outnumber their Republican counterparts by a 12-1 ratio. In some departments, such as history, Democratic registered professors outnumber their Republican counterparts by a 33-1 ratio. … I’m not sure about what can be done about education. But the first step toward any solution is for the American people to be aware of academic fraud that occurs at every level of education.”
Braying Jenny: “My view is that every vote matters and the way we can make that happen is that we can have national voting, and that means get rid of the Electoral College.” —Elizabeth Warren
Braying Jackass: “I think there’s a lot to [abolishing the Electoral College]. Because you had an election in 2016 where the loser got three million more votes than the victor. It puts some states out of play altogether. They don’t feel like their vote really counts.” —Beto O'Rourke
An Inconvenient truth: “From a campaign-manager standpoint, when I ran President Obama’s campaign, we would never go to a small state if there was no Electoral College. You’d go to the major media markets. You would not go to Iowa. You wouldn’t go to Montana. You wouldn’t go to New Hampshire. … [Getting rid of it is] not gonna happen.” —Jim Messina
What could possibly go wrong? “What if there were five justices selected by Democrats, five justices selected by Republicans, and those 10 then pick five more justices independent of those who picked the first 10? I think that’s an idea we should explore.” —Beto O'Rourke
Pick me! Pick me! “We have exactly one chance left to defeat climate change — and that’s during the next administration. … If it’s not job one, it won’t get done. And I’m the only candidate that’s saying that right now.” —Washington Gov. Jay Inslee
The BIG Lie: “Immigration is not a security issue. It is an economic and a humanitarian and a family issue.” —Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
And last… “Why the President of the United States gets involved in petty disputes with someone most Americans have never heard of [George Conway] is beyond me. The same goes for his continuing feud with the late John McCain. Why bother?” —Brit Hume
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher