“Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with government of himself. Can he, then, be trusted with the government of others?” —Thomas Jefferson (1801)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Pelosi is dealing with a rising civil war in the Democrat Party.
- Bernie will only pay what the tax law says, not what he recommends.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
A Harvard CAPS/Harris poll from February found that 64% of registered voters believe the Democrat Party supports socialism. That statistic is not surprising given the hard-leftist course Barack Obama set for the party. That leftist course has only become more extreme as Democrats seek to further the resistance against the bombastic and yet unapologetically pro-American President Donald Trump.
The Democrat victory in 2018, winning control of the House, seemed to verify their belief that Americans favored their extreme leftist agenda. This victory included a new freshman class of radical leftist ideologues, chomping at the bit to enact “real” social change. But the politically savvy veteran House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has repeatedly asserted her authority over these young firebrands, trying to whip them into line to keep a united front aimed at obstructing Trump. However, these young leftist zealots have refused to back off their “revolution.” And that’s a problem for Democrats, as socialism is still not favored by the majority of Americans.
As a result, a civil war is brewing within the Democrat Party. It’s a war Pelosi is more and more forcefully attempting to quell. Specifically, Pelosi has recognized that these young leftists are alienating moderate voters, which Democrats cannot lose if they have any hope of winning in 2020. Hence, Pelosi’s recent comments when she was asked about the “exuberance” of Democrats advocating socialism: “What we’re saying is, have a message that appeals to people in a way that does not menace them — that really does address their concerns. When we win and we have the White House and we have that, then we can expand our exuberances to some other things.”
When asked about the more exuberant, like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Pelosi responded that they won in “districts that are solidly Democratic.” To drive home the point, she picked up a glass of water and stated, “This glass of water would win with a ‘D’ next to its name in those districts. … Not to diminish the personality and the exuberance of the rest of Alexandria and the members…”
A day earlier, when asked in a “60 Minutes” interview about “AOC and her group on one side,” Pelosi attempted to downplay the radical leftist presence and influence within the party, asserting, “That’s like five people.” In reality, the leftist House Progressive Caucus includes more than 90 Democrat representatives — some 41% of the House Democrat membership.
Insisting that she rejects socialism, Pelosi declared, “That is not the view of the Democrat Party.” But as the previously mentioned poll found, Democrat voters are evenly divided — 51% to 49% — when asked about their preference for capitalism or socialism. And the party’s 2020 presidential contenders back Medicare for All, the Green New Deal, punitive wealth taxes, and the like, all after the socialist scams of ObamaCare and Dodd-Frank. In other words, Pelosi’s fight is not merely against “five people” but half her party, and proud socialists like AOC aren’t about to play nice about that fact, either.
Nobody likes paying taxes, even the socialist and current front-running Democrat presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Sanders appeared Monday on a Fox News town hall in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, where host Bret Baier asked him why he personally filed taxes using the lower Republican tax rates that he had voted against. After all, Sanders regularly and repeatedly derides wealthy Americans for “not paying their fair share.” Sanders, the socialist that capitalism made a millionaire, clearly felt the burn of his hypocrisy being exposed. He responded smugly, “Pfft… Come on. … I am — I paid the taxes that I owe. … Why don’t you get Donald Trump up here and ask him how much he pays in taxes?”
But that wasn’t the end of Sanders being challenged over his failure to live up to his own leftist “tax the wealthy” mantra. Baier’s cohost, Martha MacCallum, came back to the issue, asking Sanders if he would be willing to abide by his call for a 52% tax on the wealthy and voluntarily give it up to the government. Rejecting the notion, Sanders argued, “You can volunteer, too. … Martha, why don’t you give? You make more money than I do.” But MacCallum quickly countered, “I didn’t suggest a wealth tax.” And Baier astutely added, “And she’s not running for president.”
Like many politicians, Sanders talks a big game, while at the same time being unwilling to live by his own loudly proclaimed principles. This gross hypocrisy is especially true for proponents of big-government solutions — the snake-oil salesmen of the political world.
A final note: Sanders gave just 3% of his income to charity in 2017. Where Bernie really wants to be “generous” is with your money.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: Dems Enraged at Trump’s Plan to Send Illegals to Sanctuary Cities — Regardless of whether this threat is enacted, it exposes the Left’s rank hypocrisy.
- Keep the Coast Guard Close to Home — While the Navy is short on ships, a USCG cutter is in the Taiwan Strait for exercises.
- Grassroots Perspective: Political Schizophrenia — The black community votes for the very platform, policies, and political party abusing it.
- Video: Greetings From the Sanctuary State — Wonderful people on one hand, and criminal resource hogs on the other.
- Video: Jobless Claims Plunge Near 50-Year Low — GOP tax cuts spark an economic recovery. Democrats are hardest hit.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- TRUMP VETO: “President Trump on Tuesday vetoed a joint resolution calling on the U.S. to end military assistance to Saudi-led forces fighting in Yemen’s ongoing civil war, calling it ‘an unnecessary, dangerous attempt to weaken my constitutional authorities, endangering the lives of American citizens and brave service members, both today and in the future.’ It was just the second veto of Trump’s presidency and Congress lacks the votes to override him.” (Fox News)
- YUMA UNDER SIEGE: “Yuma, a city on the U.S.-Mexico border in Arizona, declared a state of emergency Tuesday, saying it cannot handle the crush of illegal immigrants the government is being forced to release onto its streets. Mayor Douglas Nicholls said the migrants are being released by the Border Patrol into his community faster than they can leave, and local shelters are already at capacity. He warned of mobs of people ‘roaming the streets looking to satisfy basic human needs,’ clashing with citizens looking to protect their own property.” (The Washington Times)
- TERRORISTS EXPLOIT OUR BORDERS: “According to a report from an organization that focuses on the problems with immigration, both legal and illegal, more than 10,000 illegal immigrants in the United States come from nations designated as terror sponsors. … The report quoted ICE Director Thomas Homan expressing his concern, asserting, ‘My biggest concern isn’t how many terrorists have been arrested entering the country illegally, but how many got through? How many did Border Patrol not catch? That’s what Americans should be thinking about.’” (The Daily Wire)
- CRIMINAL-DEPORTATION STATS: “The Trump administration seized and deported some 145,095 criminal illegal immigrants inside the United States in 2017-2018, about 1.2% of the overall population of 11.3 million illegal immigrants, according to new federal statistics. Some 77,858 were arrested by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials under the Secure Communities program and deported in fiscal 2018, nearly a third in Texas. Another 67,237 were arrested in communities and their homes in 2017 through May 2018.” (Washington Examiner)
- NOTRE DAME UPDATE: “Nearly $1 billion in donations have poured in for the vast restoration of the fire-ravaged Notre Dame cathedral — but a pledge by French President Emmanuel Macron that it will be completed within five years was facing accusations of being wildly off track. Macron said the renovations to restore iconic 19th century spire, vaulting and two-thirds of the cathedral’s roof would be completed in time for the Paris 2024 Olympics. ‘We will rebuild the cathedral to be even more beautiful and I want it to be finished within five years,’ Macron said. Experts have said, however, that the ambitious timeline appears insufficient for such a massive operation.” (Associated Press)
- PLANNED PARENTHOOD COERCION: “In a case that actually began a few years ago, the California Department of Managed Health Care began forcing religious organizations to pay for elective abortions in their health insurance plans through a seemingly innocuous mandate. The churches sued for their right to remain exempt from providing abortions, something that does not align with their religious conscience, and have been in litigation ever since. Now new emails, revealed in discovery, show that California actually mandated this coverage at Planned Parenthood’s bidding and targeted religious organizations on purpose.” (Washington Examiner)
- UAW IN THE CROSSHAIRS: “A labor watchdog is making the United Auto Workers’ bribery scandal the centerpiece of its campaign urging workers to reject unionization. The UAW is attempting to gain a foothold in right-to-work Tennessee, pushing to organize a Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga that rejected a previous union vote. The election will take place just weeks after a top union official pleaded guilty for his role in a bribery scandal at Chrysler. The Center for Union Facts has made it a priority to inform workers of corruption ahead of the vote.” (The Washington Free Beacon)
- JUSTICE IN GOFUNDME SCAM: “Three days after a homeless veteran was sentenced for his role in a GoFundMe campaign that netted $402,706 and defrauded donors with a fake Good Samaritan tale, Katelyn McClure appeared before the same judge in Superior Court in Mount Holly to admit her role in a conspiracy that preyed on people’s sympathies. McClure, 29, of Bordentown, pleaded guilty Monday before Judge Christopher Garrenger as part of an agreement that calls for her to face a four-year prison term.” (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- HUMOR: Amid criticism, Bernie Sanders vows to be more generous with your money in the future (The Babylon Bee)
- POLICY: Answers to four big questions about sending illegal immigrants to sanctuary cities (The Daily Signal)
- POLICY: Facebook tells us why net-neutrality regulation is a bad idea (American Enterprise Institute)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Ben Shapiro: “[Rep. Ilhan] Omar isn’t a victim because she’s being criticized. And speech isn’t incitement. Sen. Bernie Sanders wasn’t responsible for the congressional baseball game shooting. Former President Barack Obama wasn’t responsible for the Dallas police shooting. And Trump isn’t responsible for those who send Omar death threats. He’s responsible for criticizing her — rightly, in this case. Democrats who hide behind the charge of incitement are simply attempting to quash debate. And that’s far more dangerous for the future of America than criticizing a radical politician.”
Friendly fire: “What we’re saying is, have a message that appeals to people in a way that does not menace them — that really does address their concerns. When we win and we have the White House and we have that, then we can expand our exuberances to some other things.” —House Speaker Nancy Pelosi when asked about the “exuberance” of Democrats advocating socialism
Belly laugh of the week: “We have no taint of [anti-Semitism] in the Democratic Party, and just because they want to accuse somebody of that doesn’t mean … that we take that bait.” —Nancy Pelosi
Braying Jackass: “One of the ugly aftermaths of 9/11 that is too often ignored is the codified profiling of Muslim-Americans solely bc of their faith … to fear and suspect all Muslims due to the actions of terrorists is bigotry. Plain & simple.” —Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez responding to the criticism of Rep. Ilhan Omar’s classification of the 9/11 Islamist attack as “some people did something” (“You are absolutely clueless when it comes to national security. I am a Muslim Imam, citizen of Australia/Iraq/Iran, and I enter the US without any problems; because I do so legally by declaring all my identities. Border Force don’t care about religion, they care about intentions.” —Imam Mohamad Tiwhidi)
Alpha Jackass: “Deep skepticism exists about the gov’t version of 9/11. Many experts — architects & engineers — say the World Trade Center Towers were destroyed in a controlled demolition.” —Nation of Islam Research Group, which in the same tweet claimed, “3,133 Scientists Back Ilhan Omar on 9/11.”
Non sequitur: “I think the reason we’re having this argument over socialism and capitalism is that capitalism has let a lot of people down.” —Mayor Pete Buttigieg (And socialism — or even “democratic capitalism,” the so-called system that Buttigieg clings to — lets everyone down.)
And last… “When you hear people criticizing Attorney General Barr, check and see how they reacted to Michael Avenatti. That will give you an idea how seriously to take them as judges of lawyers and the law.” —Brit Hume
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher