“And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever.” —Thomas Jefferson (1781)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Nearly 300 murdered by Islamofascists in Sri Lanka.
- Dems and their Leftmedia mouthpieces are desperate to save the narrative.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
As worshippers gathered at three churches in separate cities in Sri Lanka to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on the most holy day of the Christian calendar, several radical Islamist suicide bombers sent many Christians to meet their risen Savior. In a very profound sense, we take comfort in knowing those souls received a beautiful and eternal reward after they suffered for their faithfulness — just as Christ warned his followers would happen. Another three attacks were perpetrated at Sri Lankan hotels, along with another at a banquet hall, and still another at a home raided by police. A van detonated Monday outside one of the churches, as police attempted to defuse several bombs. All told, at least 290 people were murdered in these coordinated attacks, including several Americans, and more than 500 were wounded and now must deal with their injuries and grief.
As for the Islamofascist bombers who thought they’d receive their reward and 72 virgins … well, let’s just say they’re experiencing something else this morning.
Compounding the tragedy, the Associated Press reports, “Sri Lankan officials failed to heed warnings from intelligence agencies about the threat of an attack by a domestic radical Muslim group that officials blame for Easter Sunday bombings which killed more than 200 people, the country’s health minister said Monday. The coordinated bombings that ripped through churches and luxury hotels were carried out by seven suicide bombers from a militant group named National Thowfeek Jamaath, Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne said.”
It shouldn’t be surprising that so many in the West are refusing to focus on what this is — a radical Islamist attack primarily on Christians. Instead we get bromides about “Easter worshippers” from the likes of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. When attacks are perpetrated by other ideologues (white supremacists) or target other particular victims (homosexuals), these same folks play up the identity elements. Not so with Christian victims, despite the fact that Christians are far more persecuted around the world than virtually any other group.
In fact, hundreds upon hundreds of Christians have been murdered for their faith already this year in attacks around the world. But with the Leftmedia avoiding reporting most of these deaths, and with prominent leftists avoiding even the word “Christian” — especially when the perpetrators are adherents to the Religion of Peace™ — one could be forgiven for getting the sense that Christians just aren’t a favored victim group. Jesus did say, “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.”
We in our humble shop offer our prayers for the loved ones of the victims, many of whom are our brothers and sisters in the faith.
One of the biggest problems with a lie is its nature to breed more lies. This reality has been on full display following the release of Robert Mueller’s report. With Attorney General William Barr’s original four-page executive summary of the report, which accurately summarized Mueller’s conclusion that there was no evidence of any Trump/Russia collusion while leaving undecided the question of whether Trump obstructed the investigation, Democrats quickly cried foul and demanded to see the full report, claiming that Barr was hiding something.
The first big lie, propagated by the fallacious and salacious Christopher Steele anti-Trump dossier (paid for by Hillary Clinton’s campaign), was that President Donald Trump colluded with the Russian to win the election. Remember it was the Leftmedia that first published the Steele dossier without ever verifying its credibility, helping to foment the collusion narrative. Conveniently, only now is The New York Times willing to throw out the dossier as complete junk. It served its purpose, effectively allowing the Leftmedia and Democrats to throw enough shade on Trump to justify the demands for a special investigation.
Then for two years, Democrats and their Leftmedia cohorts preached incessantly that Mueller was about to unearth evidence of Trump’s nefarious Russian connections. However, as it became increasingly apparent that there was no evidence to support the collusion narrative, Democrats pivoted and moved the goalposts, claiming that Trump was guilty of obstruction of justice due to his loud and repeated objections to Mueller’s “witch hunt.” Big lie number two.
Last Thursday, as he promised, Barr released Mueller’s full report, with the appropriate redactions. And it quickly became apparent that Democrat claims that Barr was hiding damning information were completely unfounded and untrue. Barr’s executive summary was entirely accurate, and yet, due to the redactions, the Democrats continued to lob their vacuous assertions of Barr stumping for Trump. Furthermore, the fact that Mueller was inconclusive on the question of whether Trump engaged in any obstruction of justice was “evidence” enough for Democrats to double down on their “obstruction” narrative. House Democrats are calling for more investigations into the “damning evidence.” Big lie number three.
Once again, the Democrat and Leftmedia aim could not be more clear: Do everything possible to paint a false narrative as credible in their effort to convince the American people that Trump should not be in office. This is a classic demonstration in dirty politics. By begging the question of Trump’s guilt, Democrats and the Leftmedia feel free to foment any false and misleading narrative against him. The reality is Democrats are only serving to expose the depth of their desperation to discredit a duly elected president.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: Dallas DA Elevates Social Justice Over the Rule of Law — He announces his office “will not prosecute theft of personal items less than $750.”
- Earth Day 2019 — It’s no small irony that Nelson founded “Earth Day” on the centenary of Vladimir Ilyich Lenin’s birthday.
- Grassroots Perspective: Abortion Mills Target Blacks — But two recent pro-life movies are shedding light on a very dark industry.
- Humor Video: Remy’s Old Town Road — With roads in disrepair, Mayor Remy addresses his city’s most pressing need.
- Video: Do Victims Have a Right to Self-Defense? — If a woman buys a gun, some claim the abusive man is more likely to use it on her.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- SCOTUS TACKLES CITIZENSHIP QUESTION: “The battle over the Trump administration’s efforts to add a question on citizenship to the 2020 census is hitting the Supreme Court. The justices will hear arguments on Tuesday over the administration adding the question, a controversial move that has sparked legal battles throughout the U.S. court system. The Commerce Department, which administers the census, is expected to argue that it has the authority to collect data on citizenship and that the question is needed to help with the Justice Department’s enforcement of the Voting Rights Act.” (The Hill)
- NO MORE IRAN-OIL PRIVILEGES: “The United States on Monday said it will eliminate in May all waivers granted to eight economies allowing them to buy Iranian oil without facing U.S. sanctions, as it ratcheted up pressure to choke off all oil revenues of the Islamic Republic. … The sanctions were imposed as Washington pressed Iran to curtail its nuclear program and stop backing militant proxies across the Middle East. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday reiterated that Washington’s goal was to bring down exports of Iranian oil to zero and added the United States had no plans to give any grace period beyond May 1 for countries to comply.” (Reuters)
- NO JOKE: UKRAINE ELECTS COMEDIAN: “Increasingly, voters are plumping for reality-TV stars to express their anger and seek solutions to intractable problems. Donald Trump … is the most obvious example. But look at Ukraine: This nation of 44 million people just saw a comedian who plays a fictional Ukrainian president on TV win 73 percent of the vote and become … the president-elect.” (National Review)
- NOW DRIVING THE IMPEACHMENT BANDWAGON: “Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.) became the first 2020 presidential candidate to call for the initiation of impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump on Friday, calling it the ‘constitutional duty’ of Congress following the findings of the Robert Mueller report. Warren sent out a series of tweets Friday afternoon saying the partially redacted Mueller report released Thursday had laid out the facts of Russian interference in the 2016 election and wrote Trump ‘obstructed the investigation into that attack.’ There was no other recourse for his actions than impeachment, she said.” (The Washington Free Beacon)
- NINTH CIRCUS BOWS AGAIN TO SANCTUARY CITIES: “The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals discarded the Trump administration’s attempt to block two of California’s sanctuary laws and determined Thursday that the laws, which restrict local cooperation with federal law enforcement, will remain in place. … The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals did block a portion of a third sanctuary city law that was passed in 2017, known as Assembly Bill 103. The court blocked part of the law requires state officials to examine federal immigration detention facilities in California.” (Washington Examiner)
- BORDER MILITIAMEN APPREHENDED: “The FBI on Saturday said it had arrested Larry Hopkins, the leader of an armed group that is stopping undocumented migrants after they cross the U.S.-Mexico border into New Mexico. … Hopkins, 69, also known as Johnny Horton, was arrested in Sunland Park, New Mexico, on a federal complaint charging him with being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition. … The [United Constitutional Patriots] describes itself as a ‘patriot group’ helping U.S. Border Patrol cope with record numbers of Central American families crossing the border to seek asylum.” (Reuters)
- HUMOR: Trump awards self the Presidential Medal of Not Committing Crimes (The Babylon Bee)
- POLICY: This Earth Day, thank America: The world leader in clean air (Washington Examiner)
- POLICY: The perversion of the Endangered Species Act (RealClearPolicy)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Jeff Jacoby: “Neither the administration nor its bitterest foes come out of this looking good. The special counsel’s report confirms that Trump and many in his circle are brazen grifters, and that he is a president devoid of honor or integrity. At the same time, the media wing of the anti-Trump ‘resistance,’ which spent two years promoting the false narrative that Trump colluded with Russia to steal an election, has wrecked whatever remained of its reputation for objectivity. It is abundantly clear that Mueller looked, and looked hard, for the ‘corrupt intent’ that would justify a finding of criminality. It is just as clear that he couldn’t find it. Donald Trump’s future will not be decided by the Justice Department. The Mueller report’s bottom line … is another way of saying that the president’s fate lies in the realm of politics, not prosecutors. … In the end [Mueller] proved only that the president elected in 2016 is an obnoxious loudmouth. That isn’t grounds for impeachment. The Mueller report means that Trump’s presidency is safe through 2020. What happens after that is in the voters’ hands.”
The Gipper: “No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.” —Ronald Reagan
Upright: “The fact that no crime is found does not mean the underlying conduct merits our endorsement. It is common sense that we can conclude the president did not handle each of the ten incidents in a way we find admirable, and at the same time agree that the president’s conduct was not felonious. Common sense is in short supply, though.” —Andrew McCarthy
Braying Jackass: “We would not be surprised if some headline writer somewhere came up … with ‘Baghdad Bill Barr’ for what we saw [last week].” —MSNBC’s Brian Williams, who no doubt witnessed the collusion firsthand
Non compos mentis: “Democrats have to first call these [pro-life] bills what they are, which are forced-pregnancy bills. But we also have to acknowledge that access to abortion is part of reproductive health and therefore it’s part of reproductive justice. Particularly for African-American women, our lack of access to a full range of reproductive choices limits our ability to not only determine our families but it also harms our ability to engage in the economy.” —Stacey Abrams
Braying Jenny: “Sometimes you spend weekends with divorced dad. That feels like it’s fun but then you get sick. That’s what America’s going through. We’re kinda living with divorced dad.” —Michelle Obama
A solid strategy! “I want you all to shut [ICE] down. We can shut them down. Don’t wait for this Congress to act. Shut ‘em down. I know what they’re gonna say. They’ll go, 'What do you mean, Rashida?’ Well I’ll tell you. There are some people that are using hunger strike [sic], all these other things, going to the border, and I plan to.” —Rep. Rashida Tlaib
Assault rifles already are on the table: “As somebody who is very familiar from my military training with weapons of war, somebody who carried a rifle and a pistol around a foreign land on order of the president, [I think] there are some weapons that just don’t belong in our neighborhoods in peace time in America. We’ve already decided that this is within the Second Amendment because we’ve decided that somewhere in between a slingshot and a nuclear weapon, we can draw a line. And that’s not unconstitutional; it’s common sense. And that’s why I think assault rifles need to be on the table too.” —Pete Buttigieg
And last… “Christians are murdered by Muslims far, far, far more than the reverse. Yet ‘Islamophobia’ is a common term while you hardly hear anything about ‘Christophobia.’ Why do you think that is?” —Matt Walsh
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher