“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” —John Adams (1770)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Some 46 Americans are murdered every day. You only hear of a few.
- For $9 trillion a year, the Green New Deal won’t change the temperature.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
By Mark Alexander
On average, according to the latest FBI statistics, there are 46 people murdered in the U.S. every day — though it is notable that since President Donald Trump’s election, the murder rate is declining.
On Saturday, the whole nation heard about one murder. A sociopathic assailant and self-proclaimed anti-Semite attacked the Chabad of Poway synagogue near San Diego, leaving one dead and three others injured. This attack followed a similar sociopathic hate template of the heinous attack against the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh last October, which left 11 dead and seven wounded. The California attack was stopped by a good guy with a gun — Army veteran and Border Patrol agent Oscar Stewart.
The 19-year-old San Diego assailant was said to have taken his inspiration from the deadly attack on a mosque in New Zealand in March, though that attacker was an “eco-fascist” who did not fit the Left’s “right wing” profile. Far more consequential in terms of loss of life is the worldwide assault on Christians by Islamists — including the Sri Lanka attacks last week, in which 253 Christians were murdered by Islamists at Easter church services. But that does not fit the Democrats’ political narrative either.
The fact is, “white supremacist” violence, which is as offensive as any other violence targeting innocents, is not a major problem in the U.S. or anywhere in the world, though such crimes receive major attention from leftist Democrats and their Leftmedia publicists. Racist attacks provide fundraising opportunities for Demo candidates and organizations that make millions as race-bait hustlers.
To that end, 2020 presidential candidate Kamala Harris was quick to blame Donald Trump and the media-driven myth of his ambiguity about a racially motivated murder in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August of 2017.
Harris proclaimed: “Saturday made clear what was clear in Charlottesville. … Let’s speak truth: racism, anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia are real in this country. Let us speak that truth and let us speak it in a way where we all agree that these are borne out of hate — hate which has received new fuel in these last two years.” Of course, whenever a Democrat proclaims “truth,” you can be sure it is wrapped in a political lie.
What Harris and the rest of the vast field of leftist Democrat contenders will NOT remind you in their zeal for deconstruction and repeal of the Second Amendment is that the deadliest ground in America is inner cities — those urban poverty centers that are Democrat-controlled strongholds and have been for generations. The vast majority of murders are black-on-black or black-on-Hispanic.
For example, on the East Coast, in Baltimore over the weekend, an assailant murdered one and wounded seven others at an inner-city cookout — but it is unlikely you heard about that assault.
In a column for The Patriot Post in August of 2015, meteorologist and climate analyst Joe Bastardi asked, “All This for .01 Degrees Celsius?” in reference to Barack Obama’s scheme “to reduce greenhouse gases to save us from an apocalyptic atmosphere.” Bastardi’s point was to show that Obama’s carbon-emissions-reduction methods would accomplish virtually nothing. But don’t take his word for it. He cited former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy, who at the time “admitted that the steps being taken would only prevent .01 degrees Celsius of warming, but it was the example that counted for the rest of the world.”
The Green New Deal is no different — both in terms of its bloviators and its influence.
According to the American Enterprise Institute’s Benjamin Zycher, the Left’s newest climate and socioeconomic monstrosity would similarly accomplish nothing — except to promote socialism. “Notwithstanding the assertions from GND proponents that it is an essential policy to confront purportedly adverse climate phenomena,” he writes, “the future temperature impacts of the zero-emissions objective would be barely distinguishable from zero: 0.173°C by 2100, under the maximum Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change parameter (equilibrium climate sensitivity) about the effects of reduced GHG emissions.” He adds, “Under an assumption consistent with the findings reported in the recent peer-reviewed literature, the effect would be 0.083°C by 2100.”
Coming back full circle to Gina McCarthy’s ultimate objective, The Daily Wire’s Emily Zanotti says, “Green New Deal proponents, including Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), have long claimed that the GND … would be worth it if it such extreme measures would in the long run lessen our impact on climate.” Yet Zycher reports that “the annual economic cost of the GND would be about $9 trillion.” That’s a whole lot of nothing for a “deal” that will cost the economy $9 trillion annually and not really lessen our impact on climate.
Whether it’s the Clean Power Plan, Paris Climate Accord, or Green New Deal, the Left believes that spending oodles of money will solve the “problem” (whatever that is), even though some of them have conceded that temperatures won’t really change all that much. As Zycher summarily puts it, “The GND’s real goal is wealth redistribution to favored political interests under the GND social-policy agenda and a dramatic increase in government control of resource allocation more generally.”
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Florida Legislature Votes to End Sanctuary Cities — Naturally, leftists are apoplectic about this effort to actually enforce the law.
- Population Math Is Adding Up to a Problem in the U.S. — For the first time in our world’s recorded history, the world has more elderly folks than kids.
- Trump Pulls U.S. Signature From UN Arms Trade Treaty — Citing national sovereignty and the Second Amendment, the president reverses another Obama policy.
- The Strategic Implications of Sanctions on Iranian Oil — Trump’s move to not renew waivers affects some important allies, but for good reasons.
- Grassroots Perspective: Patrick: Victory Over Victimhood — My hope for blacks in America is to unlearn their inherited victimhood mentality.
- Video: Three White Guys Leading Democrat Primary — Some on the Left are panicking that such a diverse field is still led by the white guys.
- Video: Dallas DA Won’t Prosecute ‘Theft of Necessary Items’ — Apparently, it’s open season on every grocery store in the county.
- Video: Bernie (Not That Bernie) on Socialism — Bernie Marcus, cofounder of The Home Depot, talks about the virtues of capitalism.
- Video: Who Wants to Live in America? — If you want to live in America, you have to join the club. It’s a reasonably simple idea.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- UN ARMS TREATY WITHDRAWAL: “President Trump announced Friday that his administration is withdrawing the U.S. signature from the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty, in response to concerns from gun rights activists that it could impinge on Americans’ right to bear arms. … Former President Barack Obama signed the treaty in 2013 and sent the treaty to the Senate for ratification. [On] Friday, Trump signed a notice to the Senate asking it to stop the ratification process and return the treaty to the White House, ‘where I will dispose of it.’” (Fox News)
- NRA SQUABBLE: “Oliver North announced Saturday that he would not serve a second term as National Rifle Association president, making it clear he had been forced out by the gun lobby’s leadership after his own failed attempt to remove the NRA’s longtime CEO [Wayne LaPierre] in a burgeoning divide over the group’s finances and media operations.” (Associated Press)
- BARR BACKING OUT? “The Justice Department has informed the House Judiciary Committee that Attorney General William Barr may skip a Thursday hearing on special counsel Robert Mueller’s report if committee lawyers seek to question him. The Democratic-run committee plans to allow counsels from both sides to ask Barr about the Russia probe after the traditional round of questioning by lawmakers. … Barr is scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday and the House panel on Thursday. The GOP-led Senate committee is expected to have normal rounds of member questioning.” (Associated Press)
- FORD’S DIRTY EMISSIONS SCHEME: “The U.S. Justice Department has opened a criminal investigation into Ford Motor Co.‘s emissions certification process. Ford said in February that it had begun an internal investigation into whether its vehicles have worse gas mileage and emit more pollutants than car, truck and SUV labels actually reveal, going back to 2017 models. … An anonymous employee reporting system at Ford raised the issue in September 2018, the company disclosed in February.” (USA Today)
- DEVIOUS ATTORNEY KIM FOXX SUBPOENAED: “Chicago’s top prosecutor, Kim Foxx, has been subpoenaed Friday over her handling of the Jussie Smollett case, according to The Chicago-Sun Times. Foxx, Cook County’s state’s attorney, will have to appear in court after a retired appellate judge, Sheila O'Brien, filed a petition last week for a special prosecutor to probe the Smollett case, in which a 16-count indictment against the 'Empire’ actor was dropped last month. Foxx’s top deputy, Joseph Magats, was also subpoenaed, and another document requested that Smollett appear at the hearing.” (Fox News)
- CONGRESSIONAL PRAYER CONSTITUTIONAL: “The D.C. Circuit unanimously upheld religious prayer in Congress last week, following a lawsuit that attempted to halt the tradition of opening House meetings with invocations to God. While the lawsuit is unsurprising, it’s still good to see federal judges maintain the authority of the First Amendment, specifically the much-contested establishment clause.” (Washington Examiner)
- MIGRANTS FLOOD TUCSON: “Border Patrol officials have begun releasing migrant families in Tucson because they lack the space to detain them and immigration officials are unable to take them into custody. The practice has been going on for about a month, according to the Border Patrol’s Tucson sector, which covers most of Arizona’s border with Mexico. … Border Patrol has not disclosed how many migrants it has released directly into Tucson in the past month since it began the practice. … Pima County officials estimate that ICE has released about 7,000 migrants in Tucson in the past eight months.” (Arizona Republic)
- POPE INTERVENES IN MIGRANT CRISIS: “Pope Francis has donated 500,000 dollars to assist migrants in Mexico. The funds … will be distributed among 27 projects promoted by sixteen Mexican dioceses and religious congregations, which requested assistance in continuing to provide food, lodging, and basic necessities to the migrants. … In particular, the aid is intended to assist the more than 75,000 people who arrived in Mexico in 2018, in six migrant caravans.” (Vatican News)
- MORE PREDATOR PRIESTS UNVEILED: “At least 120 priests accused of sexually abusing a child or having child pornography have worked in the Archdiocese of New York, the archdiocese said Friday in releasing a list of names that includes bishops, high school teachers, a scouting chaplain and a notorious cardinal. The release, from the nation’s second-largest Roman Catholic archdiocese, follows more than 120 such disclosures from other dioceses around the country as the church reckons with demands for transparency about sex abuse by clergy.” (Associated Press)
- HUMOR: Biden vows to return nation to era when press didn’t bother reporting on president’s scandals (The Babylon Bee)
- POLICY: What immigration reform should look like (The Heritage Foundation)
- POLICY: Huawei poses a 5G threat, but nationalization is not the answer (National Review)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
The Patriot Post is certified ad-free, unlike third-party commercial news sites linked on this page, which may also be pay-walled.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Burt Prelutsky: “For those who love irony, there’s a lot to be said for Democrats showing their true colors. For those who hate hypocrisy, however, there’s a lot that should be said about those who have used illegal aliens as chess pieces for decades suddenly condemning Trump for doing the same. Funny, but when President Obama dumped thousands of Muslims in places like Lewiston, Maine; Hazelton, Pennsylvania; Saginaw, Michigan; and Minneapolis, Minnesota, I don’t recall the Democrats accusing him of treating human beings like pawns. Could the reason possibly be that 80,000 Somalis in Minnesota turned Minneapolis’s 5th congressional district into a cesspool where Muslim Keith Ellison could quit the House to run for state attorney general and be replaced by the loathsome Ilhan Omar?”
The Gipper: “We are the showcase of the future. And it is within our power to mold that future — this year and for decades to come. It can be as grand and as great as we make it. No crisis is beyond the capacity of our people to solve; no challenge too great.” —Ronald Reagan
For the record: “Biden is claiming that he asked Obama not to endorse him. Call me skeptical. There’s no way Biden would have turned down Obama’s endorsement. If there is any truth to that story, it is most likely that Biden asked Obama not to endorse anyone at all, like Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg or Beto O'Rourke — all of whom are angling to be ‘the next Obama.’” —Gary Bauer
Belly laugh of the week: “Kamala Harris doesn’t seem to have the courage to concede that owning a handgun for protection is a bad idea. Instead, she has given voters a real choice: Back candidates who care enough about gun control to not own handguns, or support the only major Democratic contender who has one and won’t throw it away.” —Peter Funt in a USA Today op-ed titled, “Kamala Harris owns a handgun. That’s disqualifying for a 2020 Democrat in my book.”
Three thousand Americans died at the hands of Islamists. And you’re afraid of us? “I was probably [in] my second year [of] law school when 9/11 happened. And … I was really terrified of what was going to happen to my husband, who’s only a green-card holder at the time. I immediately called my brothers and told them to be very careful who you hang out with, telling my sisters, you know, just be real careful out there, and being really afraid of my fellow Americans.” —Rep. Rashida Tlaib, who is Muslim
The BIG Lie: “Family-planning clinics — Planned Parenthood, to be specific — in Texas is saving the lives of our fellow women, and it’s a life-and-death matter in this country.” —Beto O'Rourke
Hyper hypocrisy: “My heart is breaking after today’s deadly shooting at Chabad Congregation in San Diego — on the last day of Passover and 6 months to the day after the Tree of Life shooting. We as a nation must confront the terrifying rise of religious hate and violence. Love trumps hate. … Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism are two sides of the same bigoted coin. Let us stand together as Americans in rejecting hate!” —anti-Semite Rep. Ilhan Omar
And last… “Rep. Omar’s tweet condemns only ‘religious hate’ while the biggest increase is in crimes targeting Jews. This is hardly a full-throated condemnation of anti-Semitism, especially since the number of Muslims in America is increasing much more rapidly than the population of Jews, while the hate crimes against Jews are increasing far more rapidly than against Muslims.” —Steve Berman
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher