“The legislative department is everywhere extending the sphere of its activity and drawing all power into its impetuous vortex.” —James Madison (1788)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Pelosi cries “cover-up,” Trump calls her bluff.
- Two illegal teens murder another kid. Dems direct outrage at ICE.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that he will refuse to work with Democrats until they end their incessant investigations of him. Trump, who had planned to meet Democrat leadership as part of a bipartisan effort to come up with an infrastructure deal, reacted to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s jab earlier in the day that claimed he was engaged in a cover-up. “I don’t do cover-ups,” Trump flatly stated, also claiming that he was the “most transparent president” in history.
Trump noted that it would be impossible to work with Democrats “under these circumstances.” He added, “I’ve said from the beginning that you probably can’t go down two tracks. You can go down the investigation track, and you can go down the investment track.” He then argued, “I respect Congress” but “what they have done is abuse.”
Pelosi shot back, questioning his manhood: “For some reason, maybe it was lack of confidence on his part … he just took a pass.” Bizarrely, she added, “I pray for the president of the United States, and I pray for the United States of America.”
And Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer declared, “It’s clear this was not a spontaneous move on the president’s part. It was planned.” Yes, Trump is the reality TV president. But the real planned show has been the Democrats’ obstruction game for the last two-plus years, including Pelosi’s comments to irritate Trump earlier in the day. The Wall Street Journal sarcastically observes, “Doesn’t this President understand that he is supposed to take a daily beating on his way to impeachment while also giving Democrats some policy victories?”
After walking out of the scheduled meeting with Pelosi and Schumer, Trump explained, “I want to do infrastructure. I want to do it more than you want to do it. But you know what? You can’t do it under these circumstances.” The president has a valid point. How can he expect to work in good faith with those whose stated objective is to see him removed from office? Democrats — already showing bad faith with their incessant investigations — clearly don’t want to give him a policy accomplishment, either. They just want to drive the country into recession and take back the White House in 2020.
Moreover, Trump won’t let Democrats hold impeachment over his head as blackmail leverage to gain concessions for their own policy demands. Instead, he called their bluff.
As Trump declared in his State of the Union earlier this year, “After 24 months of rapid progress, our economy is the envy of the world, our military is the most powerful on earth, and America is winning each and every day. Members of Congress: The State of our Union is strong. Our country is vibrant and our economy is thriving like never before.” But, he warned, “The only thing that can stop it are foolish wars, politics, or ridiculous partisan investigations. If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation.” Clearly, Democrat members of Congress have chosen ridiculous partisan politics and investigations, not the good of the country.
Freshman Democrats in the House aren’t afraid to speak their minds, perhaps especially when it’s obnoxious, deceitful, divisive, or just plain false. Rep. Lauren Underwood (D-OH) joined the club when she told acting DHS Secretary Kevin McAleenan that the Border Patrol must be intentionally killing kids who cross the border.
“People keep dying, sir,” Underwood lectured. “So this is obviously more than a question of resources. Congress has been more than willing to provide the resources and to work with you to address the security and humanitarian concerns.” [Narrator: No, Congress has not been “more than willing” to provide resources to handle the overwhelming number of illegals pouring over our border.] “But at this point, with five kids that have died [while in Border Patrol custody], 5,000 separated from their families, I feel like and the evidence is really clear that this is intentional. It’s intentional. It’s a policy choice being made on purpose by this administration, and it’s cruel and inhumane.”
After audible gasps and objections from others in the room, McAleenan replied, “That’s an appalling accusation.” Indeed it is, and we’re reasonably certain Underwood uttered it primarily to get herself some media attention and “street cred” with the base.
Underwood’s slanderous and false accusation aside, do you know who is killing kids? Illegal aliens.
In a horrific story out of the “sanctuary city” of Prince George’s County, Maryland, two teen MS-13 members are being sought by federal authorities after allegedly brutally murdering a 14-year-old girl to keep her quiet about a robbery. According to The Washington Times, “They made her strip before beating her with a baseball bat and chopping her with a machete.” The two had been in custody already last year for attempted murder, but PG County transferred them (and they were eventually released) without notifying U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
ICE pointedly blamed the county for the gruesome murder. “These individuals had demonstrated violent criminal behavior before, and because they were released in spite of the lawful detainer, they were afforded an opportunity to take a life,” said Diane Witte, director of Baltimore’s ICE field office. But the blame goes further back than that. Both young men entered the U.S. illegally under Barack Obama and were beneficiaries of “catch and release” policies — one remanded to a relative in DC, and the other ordered back for a deportation hearing that he never attended. The vast majority of illegals do not show up for such hearings.
Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, put it best: “The anti-borders activists are quick to blame the Border Patrol for deaths that are out of its control, but rationalize the crimes committed by people who would be removed if the law were enforced. There really is a double-standard here.” It’s a double standard that is costing lives.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: Stacking the SAT Deck — One’s racial and economic privilege or lack thereof will be calculated in secret.
- Google Engineer Slams Company’s ‘Outrage Mobs’ — Once again the tech giant demonstrates its commitment to leftist nonsense.
- American Spirit: Billionaire Pays Student Loans For Entire Graduating Class — Robert F. Smith will cover for the entire 2019 graduating class at Morehouse College.
- Video: Exposing the Insanity of the ‘Equality Act’ — Matt Walsh debunks leftist logic and explains why the bill is not as inclusive as they claim.
Don’t Miss Alexander’s Column
Read Trump Is NOT ‘Starting a Trade War’ With China. For the record, the U.S. has been the target of a very costly and perilous trade war with China for decades.
If you’d like to receive Alexander’s Column by email every Wednesday, update your subscription here.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- LEFTIST PRIORITIES: “New York lawmakers gave final passage to legislation Wednesday that would allow President Donald Trump’s state tax returns to be released to congressional committees that have, so far, been barred from getting the president’s federal filings.” (Associated Press)
- TERRORIST WALKS: “John Walker Lindh, the American captured in Afghanistan in 2001 fighting for the Taliban, was released early from federal prison on Thursday… Lindh, who was 20 years old when he was captured, left prison in Terre Haute, Indiana, on probation after serving 17 years of a 20-year sentence.” (Reuters)
- TERRORIST THWARTED: “A 20-year-old New Jersey man who allegedly sent money abroad to Hamas militants in an effort to support the terror group also spoke of bombing Trump Tower and attacking the Israeli Consulate in New York, authorities say. He also spewed hatred against Jewish people, allegedly vowing in an Instagram Live video that he would go to a pro-Israel march and ‘shoot everybody.’” (NBC New York)
- MIDDLE EAST STRATEGY: “The Pentagon on Thursday will present plans to the White House to send up to 10,000 more troops to the Middle East, in a move to beef up defenses against potential Iranian threats.” (Associated Press)
- AIR FORCE NOMINEE: “President Trump on Tuesday announced that he plans to nominate Barbara Barrett, a former chairwoman of the nonprofit Aerospace Corporation, to be the next secretary of the Air Force.” (Air Force Times)
- MIGRANT ANARCHY: “Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) signed legislation Wednesday that turns the Evergreen State into a sanctuary state. Under the new measure, state and local authorities will be barred from questioning individuals about their immigration status except in limited cases.” (Townhall)
- A SUCKY DECISION: “This could be the last straw for Whole Foods customers. The supermarket chain announced on Monday that it’s eliminating plastic straws from all stores in the US, Canada and the UK beginning in July.” (New York Post)
- TUBMAN DELAYED: “Harriet Tubman — former slave, abolitionist, ‘conductor’ on the Underground Railroad — will not become the face of the $20 bill until after President Trump leaves office, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Wednesday.” (The New York Times)
- BLUE-CITY EXODUS: “America’s largest cities are shrinking but a few in the Southwest are continuing to boom. … Besides Fort Worth, the fifteen most populous cities were largely unchanged from the prior year. However, the three largest U.S. cities, New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago, shrank last year.” (Bloomberg)
- POLICY: Australia’s election shock shows the perils of moralizing climate change (The Daily Signal)
- POLICY: Why forgiving student debt would solve nothing (Foundation for Economic Education)
- HUMOR: In move to ban charter schools, Bernie Sanders introduces No Child Left Ahead Act (The Babylon Bee)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
The Patriot Post is certified ad-free, unlike third-party commercial news sites linked on this page, which may also be pay-walled.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Victor Davis Hanson: “As far as alleged Russian collusion goes, Hillary Clinton used three firewalls — the Democratic National Committee, the Perkins Coie law firm and the Fusion GPS strategic intelligence firm — to hide her campaign’s payments to British national Christopher Steele to find dirt on Trump and his campaign; in other words, to collude. Steele in turn collected his purchased Russian sources to aggregate unverified allegations against Trump. He then spread the gossip within government agencies to ensure that the smears were leaked to the media — and with a government seal of approval. No wonder that special counsel Robert Mueller’s partisan team spent 22 months and $34 million only to conclude the obvious: that Trump did not collude with Russia.”
Horrifying thought: “It turns out that promoting the bogus gang-rape against Kavanaugh, amplified by cable news and Democrats, was probably the most ethical thing [Michael] Avenatti was doing in this period.” —Rich Lowry
Grand delusions: “The notion of identity politics has been peddled for the last 10 years, and it’s been used as a dog whistle to say that we shouldn’t pay too much attention to the new voices coming into progress. I would argue that identity politics is exactly who we are, and it’s exactly how we won.” —Stacey Abrams, who still hasn’t won Georgia’s gubernatorial election
Non compos mentis: “Sen. Cory Booker says he would create a ‘White House Office of Reproductive Freedom’ if he were elected president and promised a series of executive actions he’d take to protect abortion rights.” —Politico
Belly laugh of the week: “We’ve got to educate the American people about exactly what’s happened. People who watch MSNBC and Fox — well not Fox, because they don’t cover [the Democrat witch hunt] at all — but MSNBC and CNN, they’re following what’s going on.” —Rep. Tim Ryan
And last… “This is your daily reminder Hillary Clinton deleted over 33,000 emails from a private server, as Secretary of State AFTER a congressional subpoena. And Nancy Pelosi has the nerve to accuse the President of a massive coverup.” —Charlie Kirk
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher