“Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.” —John Adams (1808)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- D-Day and the heavy price of Liberty.
- Democrats invite the border invasion.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
Today marks the 75th anniversary of D-Day, the Allied invasion of France codenamed Operation Overlord, which commenced in the early hours of June 6, 1944. It was the beginning of the end for Adolf Hitler’s National Socialist Workers (NAZI) Party and its reign of terror across Europe — an epic battle in defense of American Liberty, and by extension, that of all mankind. On that day, and many bloody days that followed on the European and Pacific fronts, American Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines purchased Liberty for the next generation at a very heavy human price. It is our sacred responsibility now to extend that inheritance to the next generation.
To mark the occasion, President Donald Trump spoke today at Normandy American Cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer, France. He said, “We are gathered here on Freedom’s Altar. On these shores, on these bluffs, on this day 75 years ago, 10,000 men shed their blood, and thousands sacrificed their lives, for their brothers, for their countries, and for the survival of Liberty. Today, we remember those who fell, and we honor all who fought right here in Normandy. They won back this ground for civilization. … 9,388 young Americans rest beneath the white crosses and Stars of David arrayed on these beautiful grounds.”
Appropriately, Trump noted, “More powerful than the strength of American arms was the strength of American hearts.”
On Memorial Day just past, I offered this advice to those who genuinely want to demonstrate their gratitude to all who paid the highest price for their Liberty and those who want to thank active-duty and veteran military personnel today for the freedom they have, and continue to defend, at great cost: Strive to be, first and foremost, an American citizen worthy of their sacrifice.
Watch composer John Williams’ moving “Hymn to the Fallen” while taking a visual tour of the only real estate Americans kept after WWII — just enough land to bury our dead. Listen to Taps at Arlington National Cemetery.
“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.” —John 15:13
On this and every day, please pray for our Patriot Armed Forces now standing in harm’s way around the world in defense of our liberty, and for the families awaiting their safe return.
The month of May saw the Border Patrol apprehend or deem inadmissible 144,278 migrants, which marks the highest single-month total in 13 years. It was the fourth straight month of increase and the third straight exceeding 100,000 arrests. It’s double February’s number. May 2019 also saw a 182% increase in apprehensions year over year, and a six-fold increase over May 2017. By virtually every measure, America is in the throes of a major border crisis. Acting U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner John Sanders declared, “We are in a full-blown emergency, and I cannot say this stronger: The system is broken.”
Yet this de facto invasion is happening for one reason and one reason only: Democrats have invited migrants to flood the southern border.
They advocate open borders and create “sanctuary” cities for illegals. They obstruct President Donald Trump’s efforts in Congress and block him in the courts. As our Arnold Ahlert put it today, “You’ve witnessed every bit of [the invasion] abetted by open-border, nation-state-despising, ‘abolish ICE!’ leftists, many of whom believe that any attempt to preserve our customs, culture, language, and exceptionalism is tantamount to white nationalism.”
There are many things that can be done to solve the problem, but until Democrats stop inviting migrants to invade, it will be akin to shoveling snow in a snowstorm.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: Put Troops on the Border and Shut It Down — We’re enduring a wholesale invasion of our nation that could top one million this year.
- Court Reaffirms 2A and 4A Rights — Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court says police violated a man’s rights because he lawfully possessed a firearm.
- Dodgeball Bad for Kids, but Drag Queens Are Good? — Social justice turns truth on its head. Out with tried and true games, in with insanity.
- Video: D-Day — British military historian Peter Caddick-Adams tells the story of that monumental day.
- Video: D-Day Stories: Gunner’s Mate at Omaha Beach — Frank DeVita was in charge of lowering the ramp on the USS Samuel Chase on D-Day.
- Video: D-Day Stories: Prayer Book Saves Paratrooper’s Life — Guy Whidden parachuted into Normandy on D-Day. Divine intervention saved his life.
- American Spirit: 101-Year-Old WWII Vet Commissions Grandson at Air Force Academy — “Walter received a standing ovation, and everyone in the room was gifted with a memory they’ll never forget.”
Don’t Miss Alexander’s Column
Read D-Day at 75: Two Flags and a Son’s Promise Kept. To honor our Veterans, strive to be, first and foremost, an American citizen worthy of their sacrifice.
If you’d like to receive Alexander’s Column by email every Wednesday, update your subscription here.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- THE GREATEST GENERATION: 97-year-old former paratrooper makes another jump 75 years after D-Day (CBS News)
- BORDER SUBTERFUGE: “The American man killed at the border in a shootout with U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers Monday night was attempting to smuggle in two Chinese nationals, officials said Wednesday.” (Fox News)
- PELOSI RHETORIC: “Speaker Nancy Pelosi told senior Democrats that she’d like to see President Donald Trump ‘in prison’ as she clashed with House Judiciary Chairman Jerry Nadler in a meeting on Tuesday night over whether to launch impeachment proceedings.” (Politico)
- SHUTTERING FREE SPEECH: “YouTube announced Wednesday it would ban videos promoting or glorifying racism and discrimination as well as those denying well-documented violent events, like the Holocaust or the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting.” (Agence France-Presse)
- FETAL-TISSUE TESTS DISCONTINUED: “The Trump administration has ended the government’s contract with a bioscience company that provided human fetal tissue from elective abortions for testing purposes. … HHS was not satisfied with the results of a review it conducted to make sure that the procurements were in keeping with government regulations and with ethical and moral concerns.” (The Daily Signal)
- CLINTON COLLUSION: “Judicial Watch revealed this week that new emails … show that the FBI moved swiftly to meet the demands of Clinton’s lawyer to provide him with its investigative documents on Clinton just two months prior to the 2016 election.” (CNSNews.com)
- GOD HAVE MERCY: “The Democrats have continued their mission to root God out of the public square in the name of secularism by removing ‘so help me God’ from the U.S. House of Representatives oath witnesses must take when testifying before several of the congressional committees, all of which are currently under Democratic control.” (The Daily Wire)
- 2A WIN: “Earlier this week, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court delivered a message that the United States Supreme Court desperately needs to hear: The lawful exercise of your Second Amendment rights does not make you a second-class citizen. … The state supreme court … could ‘find no justification for the notion that a police officer may infer criminal activity merely from an individual’s possession of a concealed firearm in public.’” (National Review)
- POLICY: YouTube is wrong to censor Nazis and demonetize Steven Crowder (Washington Examiner)
- POLICY: Why the Indo-Pacific is the Pentagon’s “priority theater” (The Daily Signal)
- HUMOR: Controversial law permits gun ownership by people banned by Facebook (IMAO)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
The Patriot Post is a certified ad-free news service, unlike third-party commercial news sites linked on this page, which may also require a paid subscription.
OPINION IN BRIEF
R. Emmett Tyrrell: “What is all this talk of fascism? Fascism generally features politicians who favor one-party dictatorship above democracy. Fascism favors a glorified sense of nationalism, often of race over the individual. In governance it favors centralized government and is heavily militaristic. Actually, when you compare fascism with communism, it is pretty much the same thing, though the German and Italian fascists always were smarter dressers, and their guns usually worked better. The communists even caught up with German racism eventually. Both the Germans and the Russians were anti-Semites. What is more, now that the latest edition of Democrat is coming out as a socialist I guess they have all the more reason to stay clear of calling Trump a communist or a Stalin or a Castro. These Democrats are at least Stalinists in the economic sense, and they can always adopt the one-partyism and militarism later.”
For the record: “Whether driven by partisanship, misguided by perverse media and political incentives, or simply put off by the burdens of responsibility, members of both houses are now reluctant to really legislate. When they do enact statutes, they are frequently broad and vague, setting general goals and then letting the executive branch figure out how to pursue them and letting judges clean up the ensuing mess (as seen in health care, environmental policy, education and beyond). … Instead, they often operate as commentators — criticizing or defending the president like everybody else. This current Congress, like the last one, seems largely to be an arena for debating President Trump. Our constitutional system cannot function this way.” —Yuval Levin
The BIG Lie: “I think the ideological movement that is anti-Semitic is the right-wing movement.” —Mayor Bill de Blasio
A distinction without a difference: “Obviously, the Soviet Union was an authoritarian society with no democratic rights, and I think if you know history, you know the democratic socialists fought and stood up against that. You can look at what existed in the Soviet Union or Venezuela. That is not what I’m talking about at all.” —Sen. Bernie Sanders
Anti-everything: “Paul Manafort is being sent to solitary confinement in my district — Rikers Island. A prison sentence is not a license for gov torture and human rights violations. That’s what solitary confinement is. Manafort should be released, along with all people being held in solitary.” —Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Braying Jenny: “I don’t want to see him impeached; I want to see him in prison.” —House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
Braying Jenny II: “If he were any other person in the United States, based on what is documented in [Robert Mueller’s] report, he would be carried out in handcuffs.” —Sen. Elizabeth Warren
And last… “75 years ago: young Americans braved Nazi fire on beaches to liberate a continent and defend Constitutional rights. Today: young Americans whine about people making mean jokes about them on YouTube and demand censorship.” —Ben Shapiro
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher