The Patriot Post® · Mid-Day Digest
“Without religion, I believe that learning does real mischief to the morals and principles of mankind.” —Benjamin Rush (1783)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- “Gay Pride” flag replaces a POW/MIA flag.
- Big Brother YouTube has joined the censorship game.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
In the increasingly leftist People’s Republic of Maryland, where, like northern Virginia, right-thinking grassroots Americans are under siege by hordes of DC bureaucrats flooding into their suburbs and taking over their state and local governments, another example of the resulting left-think effluent is flying high.
On Monday, in the DC suburb of Montgomery County, the POW/MIA flag in the high-profile Veterans Memorial Plaza was replaced by a “gay pride” flag for the month of June, which is “pride month.” The county council’s first gender-confused “LGBTQ” member pushed for the celebration of “gay pride month” with the raising of that rainbow flag.
Notably, there is only one day each year designated to honor the service and sacrifice of Veterans — November 11.
The asinine trend of raising rainbow flags in front of government buildings began, of course, with Barack Obama, who ordered “gay pride” celebrations and used our military to implement his government-wide gender-confusion agenda. So absurd is this trend that Obama’s actions even led to a “gay parody” of the flag raising represented by the Iwo Jima Marine Memorial.
Congressional Democrats have aggressively advanced Obama’s agenda under Donald Trump, most recently with their so-called “Equality Act” sponsored by their heterophobic gender deniers. That is, first and foremost, an appeal to female voters who support that agenda.
Feeling the heat, as of this morning, Montgomery County Executive Mark Elrich has restored the POW/MIA flag and moved the rainbow flag under the Maryland state flag — still flying on the Veterans Memorial Plaza.
Remember when the Internet was a great big free-speech zone, where almost any idea or belief could be freely and easily expressed? Well, leave it to the Left to mess it all up. Popular conservative political comedian Stephen Crowder recently had his YouTube channel demonetized — all because a leftist activist and “journalist” at Vox complained that Crowder’s comments about him, making fun of his homosexuality and ethnicity, amounted to bullying.
Initially, YouTube did nothing other than noting that Crowder’s comments did not violate its policies. The Vox journalist, however, being the leftist that he is, took to social media and called on the Rainbow Mafia to boycott YouTube. It wasn’t long before YouTube partially reversed course and demonetized Crowder’s channel, explaining, “Even if a creator’s content doesn’t violate our community guidelines, we will take a look at the broader context and impact, and if their behavior is egregious and harms the broader community, we may take actions” [emphasis added].
Crowder represents just the latest victim in a growing number of mostly right-leaning personalities who have been punished or silenced by social-media giants for daring to express views the Left vindictively classifies as “hate speech.”
And YouTube is just getting started. Following its action against Crowder, YouTube announced that it was “taking another step in our hate speech policy by specifically prohibiting videos alleging that a group is superior in order to justify discrimination, segregation or exclusion based on qualities like age, gender, race, caste, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.”
Not only will YouTube demonetize and censor creator content based upon its own subjective and ever-evolving definition of what encompasses “dangerous” hate speech, but it will “rank content based on quality.” As Sundar Pichai, CEO of YouTube’s parent company Google, explained, “We are bringing that same notion and approach to YouTube so that we can rank higher quality stuff better and really prevent borderline content.” In short, YouTube will promote mainstream media news and political commentary over nontraditional new media. And by doing so, it aims to limit the impact of disfavored alternative journalism.
These tech giants are acting the part of Big Brother, censoring political speech with which they disagree, and then running and hiding behind their “private company” moniker whenever they’re called out for it. Many conservatives point to the free market as the sole solution, but that response is arguably too idealistic and naive. Government’s aim should be to protect the right of Americans to access the “town square.” And if social-media giants do indeed represent the town square, then First Amendment concerns are valid.
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: Trump Policies Lifting Blacks, and They’re Noticing — He won 8% of the black vote in 2016, but that may increase in 2020 due to good policies.
- 90% of Asylum-Seekers Skip Case Hearings — Acting DHS secretary notes that the border crisis is a “full blown emergency.”
- Caution: ATF Nominee Needs Scrutiny — Canterbury has some troubling positions and supported Obama’s anti-gun nominations.
- Grassroots Perspective: Dads Make THE Difference — Dads are marginalized by society, but fathers are paramount for raising healthy children.
- Video: Pediatrician Says Transgender Propaganda Harms Kids — Leftist activist groups infiltrate schools, libraries, and even medical societies to get kids.
- Video: Authoritarian Socialist Makes Bogus Claim — Bernie Sanders claims he’s “spent my whole life fighting against authoritarianism.”
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- IMPEACHMENT: “Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Tuesday that House Democrats are ‘not even close’ to backing an impeachment inquiry into President Trump,” reports The Hill. But The Washington Post notes, “The House took its strongest step yet in the standoff with President Trump over congressional oversight, voting Tuesday to seek court enforcement of subpoenas for Attorney General William P. Barr and former White House counsel Donald McGahn.” And the Associated Press says, “The House Intelligence Committee has invited two former leaders of the FBI’s national security branch to testify about the counterintelligence implications of Mueller’s investigation.”
- LOCK HIM UP?: “2020 candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., has issued a stunning warning to President Trump that seems to echo controversial recent comments from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, saying her Justice Department would likely charge him with obstruction of justice if she wins the White House.” (Fox News)
- EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE: “President Trump has asserted executive privilege over a host of documents related to the decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census, the Justice Department said Wednesday, thwarting Congressional Democrats’ attempts to subpoena the materials.” (The Washington Times)
- BANNING FREE SPEECH: “Pinterest has removed Live Action’s account from its platform. On Tuesday morning, Live Action discovered that they had been added to Pinterest’s blacklist of pornography websites. A few hours later, after appealing their being on the list, Live Action received an email alerting them that they’ve been permanently suspended.” (The Resurgent)
- SWAMP EXPANDED: “Speaking in Council Bluffs, Iowa, to celebrate his administration’s decision to allow 15 percent of ethanol to be mixed into gasoline in the hot summer months, Trump in one breath called the move an American success story while also blasting Biden for failing to embrace the fuel under former President Obama.” (The Hill)
- PROMISES YOU CAN’T KEEP: “Joe Biden told an audience in Ottumwa, Iowa Tuesday that his White House would ‘cure’ cancer should he beat President Trump in 2020,” reports the Washington Examiner. “During his stint as vice president, Biden oversaw the ‘Cancer Moonshot’ initiative of the Obama administration.”
- WIDESPREAD DESPAIR: “Rates of deaths from suicides, drug overdoses and alcohol have reached an all-time high in the United States, but some states have been hit far harder than others, according to a report released Wednesday by the Commonwealth Fund.” (NBC News)
- POLICY: “The four states that have enacted [pro-life] laws recently are among the states who boast the highest percentage of African Americans per capita in the country: Mississippi is 2nd, Louisiana is 3rd, Georgia is 4th, Alabama is 7th. Don’t think that’s a coincidence.” (The Resurgent)
- POLICY: AMA says “No” to “Medicare for All” while endorsing policies that would make it inevitable (Washington Examiner)
- HUMOR: YouTube pulls all “Seinfeld” clips featuring the Soup Nazi (The Babylon Bee)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
The Patriot Post is a certified ad-free news service, unlike third-party commercial news sites linked on this page, which may also require a paid subscription.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Marc Thiessen: “For more than 40 years, [Joe] Biden supported the Hyde Amendment, which bars federal funding for abortions. In 1994, when a constituent wrote to Biden, urging him, ‘Please don’t force me to pay for abortions against my conscience,’ Biden replied, ‘I agree with you.’ He pointed out that he had voted no fewer than 50 times against federal funding of abortions, promising, ‘Those of us who are opposed to abortion should not be compelled to pay for them.’ In his 2007 book Promises to Keep, Biden wrote, ‘I’ve stuck to my middle-of-the-road position on abortion for more than 30 years.’ But then Biden gave in to the mob. He tried to justify his flip-flop at a Democratic National Committee event in Atlanta on Thursday night by declaring, ‘If I believe health care is a right, as I do, I can no longer support an amendment that makes that right dependent on someone’s ZIP code.’ This is absurd. Americans have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms, but the government is not obligated to provide weapons to poor people who cannot afford them.”
Insight: “Truth withers when freedom dies, however righteous the authority that kills it; and free individualism uninformed by moral value rots at its core and soon brings about conditions that pave the way for surrender to tyranny.” —Frank Meyer
Upright: “I’m aware that the State Department indicated that on the flagpole of our American embassies that one flag should fly, and that’s the American flag. And I support that. … When it comes to the American flagpole, and American embassies, and capitals around the world, one American flag flies.” —Vice President Mike Pence on the flap about embassies wanting to fly so-called “pride” flags
Immigration reality: “I think the cold, hard reality is, even though almost none of my members were enthusiastic about the prospect of tariffs, you have to give the president credit — it worked. The president deserves applause — not condemnation — for the outcome, which has a good chance of solving this crisis at the border.” —Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Trump’s dealings with Mexico
Braying Jackass: “I believe Trump is an existential threat to America.” —Joe Biden
Demo-gogues: “We choose hope over fear. Unity over division. Truth over lies. And science over fiction.” —Joe Biden, whose Democrat Party does exactly the opposite
Non Compos Mentis: “I promise you if I’m elected president, you’re going to see the single most important thing that changes America — we’re gonna cure cancer.” —Joe Biden
Braying Jenny: “I think there’s [sic] some issues that have such moral clarity that we as a society have decided that the other side is not acceptable. Imagine saying that it’s okay to appoint a judge who is racist, or anti-Semitic, or homophobic. Asking someone to appoint someone who takes away basic human rights of any group of people in America … I don’t think that those are political issues anymore.” —Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand on judges and Roe v. Wade
Hitting the brakes … or not: “There is nothing as divisive in our country, in my view, than impeachment. … [But] it’s not off the table.” —House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
And last… “Ideas have real-world consequences, some of which are immediate and dramatic enough that they can instruct even the citizens of democracies, who are so often so immune to learning.” —Kevin Williamson
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher