“No man in his senses can hesitate in choosing to be free, rather than a slave.” —Alexander Hamilton (1774)
IN TODAY’S EDITION
- Sanders paints a false picture of the virtues of socialism.
- Leftmedia freaks out that Trump is doing exactly what Obama did.
- Daily Features: More Analysis, Columnists, Headlines, Opinion in Brief, Short Cuts, Memes, and Cartoons.
Bernie Sanders gave what he billed as a big speech Wednesday extolling the “virtues” of democratic socialism. As Mark Alexander wrote on the centennial of the Bolshevik takeover of Russia in 2017, “Between 1917 and 1991, there were almost 150 million civilian casualties of communist dictatorships.” But not to worry; Bernie says they’ve all just been doing it wrong and we should trust him to get socialism right.
Given the rising popularity of whatever Americans think socialism means, particularly among young people, Patriots should absolutely take Sanders seriously. Either he will prevail as the Democrat nominee or he will continue to drive the entire Democrat Party further toward socialism. His “Medicare for All” proposal, for example, set the bar for the Democrat platform.
On that theme, Sanders lauded the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights — with the notable exception of the right to keep and bear arms — but utterly corrupted the word “rights” to include a laundry list of “free” stuff he wants to buy with your money. He calls it “a 21st Century Economic Bill of Rights,” and he argues “you are not free” without free stuff.
Invoking Franklin Roosevelt and Lyndon Johnson to argue that Americans have long supported socialism, Sanders asserted, “We must take on the unfinished business of the New Deal and carry it to completion.” But Democrats’ “Better Deal” is just Marxist socialism repackaged.
Sanders, the man who spent his honeymoon in the Soviet Union, called for “political revolution” — which just happens to be the same thing the murderous Bolsheviks foisted on Russia in 1917. At the same time, he decried “massive attacks from those who attempt to use the word ‘socialism’ as a slur.” Heaven forbid we call it what it is.
It was particularly ironic that in the same week Sanders gave his speech, two stories came out of socialist Venezuela that should serve as a warning: Gas shortages and sky-high food prices go along with the Reuters report that “Venezuela’s annual inflation dropped below 1 million percent in May for the first time since 2018.”
Remember the heady days of 2013 when Bernie’s speechwriter, David Sirota, wrote an op-ed titled, “Hugo Chávez’s Economic Miracle”? Sanders would prefer you didn’t recall that, much less his own history of embracing socialist thugs. Maybe it’s just a “slur” to point it out.
What is actually a slur? Sanders arguing that the rise of the National Socialists in 1930s Germany was somehow “right wing” and akin to President Donald Trump’s brand of “America First” populism, which he labels “the forces of oligarchy and authoritarianism.”
Sanders, the man who parlayed capitalism into a multimillion-dollar fortune and multiple homes all while selling socialism, attempted to distinguish himself from Trump. The president, he says, “believes in corporate socialism for the rich and powerful,” while Sanders fights for “a democratic socialism that works for the working families of this country.” Does he put his own money where his mouth is? No, he hypocritically pays lower tax rates because he only wants to be “generous” with your money.
On a final note, it is a particular affront to Liberty that Sanders gave his socialist sermon at George Washington University, named for our Patriot Founding Father who led the battle against tyranny that American might be free.
President Donald Trump is a “racist” and the proof is in the fact that he is doing … exactly what Barack Obama did. The mainstream media trumpeted the first part while failing to mention that significant fact about Obama making the same decision. Is it any wonder the vast majority of the American public has lost trust in the fake news media? Could it be any more obvious that the Leftmedia is the propaganda arm of the Democrat Party?
Case in point, with the ongoing border crisis threatening to stretch the Department of Homeland Security to the bursting point, DHS, in an effort to find more facilities to house the ballooning number of detained illegal aliens, has decided to use underutilized space on several military bases. One of these locations, Fort Sill in Oklahoma, was used as a Japanese internment camp during WWII. The situational correlation between the detaining of immigrants caught illegally crossing into the U.S. versus the interment of American citizens simply because of their Japanese ethnicity is not even remotely similar other than the location being the same. But that didn’t stop the MSM from conflating the two. Take a look at these headlines:
The Trump administration will detain hundreds of migrant children at a military base that was once used as a Japanese internment camp —Business Insider
Trump Admin to Use Army Base That Once Served as Japanese Internment Camp to House 1,400 Migrant Kids —The Daily Beast
Trump Administration to Use Former Japanese Internment Camp to House Migrant Children —Fortune
Trump Administration to Hold Migrant Children at Base That Served as WWII Japanese Internment Camp —Time
Trump administration to house migrant children at Fort Sill, which once served as a Japanese internment camp —USA Today
Geronimo and the Japanese were imprisoned there. Now Fort Sill will hold migrant children — again. —The Washington Post
The truth is that Obama did the exact same thing. As the Obama administration was struggling with a surge in illegal immigration in 2014, DHS elected to house more than 7,700 migrant children on military bases, including Fort Sill. It was a temporary measure that ended a few months later.
This latest bit of propaganda harkens back to last year when the Leftmedia played the same blame game with Trump for detaining illegal-alien children “in cages,” while the MSM intentionally ignored the glaring fact that the same policy had been implemented and applied under Obama. On top of that, many of the photos circulated by the MSM at the time were actually taken during Obama’s presidency.
Once again, rather than hold Democrats to account for their lawless open-border policies that have caused and fueled the border crisis — a crisis that has increased human trafficking, especially of children — the Leftmedia instead pushes the fallacious Democrat narrative of Trump’s supposedly racist motivation behind his efforts to stop illegal immigration. If the MSM and Democrats truly cared for the plight of these migrant children, then they would be giving Trump all the funding needed to build a wall to better secure the border and enforce the nation’s immigration laws.
The Email You Didn’t Get
Today we launch The Patriot Post’s Independence Day Campaign to fund our daily mission and operations through the third quarter. In prior years you would have received a separate email in your inbox announcing this, but beginning last year our team decided to cut back on the number of appeals requesting your support.
It’s a gamble, but we are trying to make budget with fewer appeals.
As you probably know, The Patriot Post is funded 100% by its readers — avoiding the influence advertisers and special interest groups impose on other publications. We run three fundraising campaigns each year to bridge funding gaps and must raise $275,000 by July 4th to meet our tight budget.
Please consider making a donation to support our vital mission today.
From each of us here, our deepest thanks for your support. —Christy Chesterton, Director of Advancement
ON OUR WEBSITE TODAY
- Featured Analysis: ‘Golden State’ Offers Free Health Care for Illegals — To help pay for it, California will begin fining citizens who don’t have health insurance.
- California: Rolling Blackouts and Garbage Piles — The Golden State is reeling under decades of incompetent Democrat policy.
- American Spirit: Profiles of Valor: Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia — He’s set to become the first living Medal of Honor recipient for actions during the war in Iraq.
- Humor Video: Mini AOC Discovers Socialism — “So, it turns out socialism is not short for social media,” little AOC quips.
- Video: Who Is Pushing the Green New Deal? — The Green New Deal remains one of the most influential proposals in modern politics.
Don’t Miss Alexander’s Column
Read Courage Is the Missing Millennial Link. Some millennials have summoned the courage to step out of their generation’s jack-boot political dogma.
If you’d like to receive Alexander’s Column by email every Wednesday, update your subscription here.
BEST OF RIGHT OPINION
For more of today’s columns, visit Right Opinion.
TOP NEWS EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- DEBT CRISIS: “Washington posted a $208 billion budget deficit in May as a modest increase in revenues failed to make up for higher spending on the military and social welfare programs like Medicare, according to data released on Wednesday by the Treasury Department. The deficit was the highest ever for the month of May… Government spending rose to $440 billion, up 21% from May of 2018. Receipts increased to $232 billion, up 7% from the same month last year.” (Reuters)
- CONTEMPTIBLE DEMS: “The House Oversight and Reform Committee voted largely along party lines Wednesday afternoon to hold Attorney General William Barr and Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross in contempt over their refusal to comply with lawmakers’ subpoena-backed demands for documents related to the inclusion of a citizenship question on the upcoming census,” reports National Review. The contempt resolution passed 24–15, with Representative Justin Amash of Michigan the only Republican to join Democrats in support.“
- COLLUSION IS ALIVE: "House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff, D-Calif., sought Wednesday to keep the fire burning over Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report with the latest in a series of hearings on the Russia controversy — as Republicans voiced frustration over what they described as a "grotesque spectacle” on Capitol Hill.“ (Fox News)
- TRUMP ON FOREIGN DIRT ON POLITICAL FOES "President Donald Trump may not alert the FBI if foreign governments offered damaging information against his 2020 rivals during the upcoming presidential race, he said, despite the deluge of investigations stemming from his campaign’s interactions with Russians during the 2016 campaign.” (ABC News)
- SOCIAL SECURITY: “Baby boomers are often blamed for putting a strain on Social Security, but a new study has found that the generation may not actually be responsible. A new report from the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College has found that the problems facing Social Security today are a result of the way the program was developed in the late 1930s.” (Fox Business)
- CULTURE OF DEATH: Just days after a troubling study about the drastic rise of deaths of despair nationwide, the Associated Press reports, “Maine legalized medically assisted suicide on Wednesday, becoming the eighth state to allow terminally ill people to end their lives with prescribed medication.”
- POLICY: “A new study by the Institute for Justice says federal asset forfeiture funds have little to no impact on solving crimes, suggesting police are more interested in the revenue it generates.” (Reason)
- POLICY: Mass homelessness exposes California’s political dysfunction (The Daily Signal)
- HUMOR: Homophobic bigot changes his ways after stumbling across rainbow-colored corporate logo on Facebook (The Babylon Bee)
For more of today’s editors’ choice headlines, visit In Our Sights.
The Patriot Post is a certified ad-free news service, unlike third-party commercial news sites linked on this page, which may also require a paid subscription.
OPINION IN BRIEF
Larry Elder: “Today, after the election and reelection of the first black president, white liberals consider racism and discrimination a bigger problem than blacks do. Zach Goldberg, a doctoral candidate at Georgia State University, tracked the opinions of whites by their ideology — liberal, moderate or conservative. Goldberg found that in 1994, according to polling data by the General Social Survey, approximately 20% of ‘white liberals’ disagreed with the following proposition: ‘Irish, Italian, Jewish and many other minorities overcame prejudice and worked their way up. Blacks should do the same without special favors.’ By 2016, the share of white liberals who disagreed increased to more than 45%. In fact, in 2016, white liberals were more likely to disagree than blacks were, at less than 35%. Apparently, white liberals consider racism and discrimination against blacks to be a bigger problem than even blacks do.”
Braying Jenny: “I believe that [the DOJ] would have no choice and that they should, yes. … There has to be accountability. … Everyone should be held accountable, and the president is not above the law.” —Sen. Kamala Harris on prosecuting Trump should she defeat him in 2020
Rabble rousing: “I think that an impeachment inquiry is right on our doorstep. If now isn’t the time … what is the bar, what is the line that we’re waiting to be crossed for an impeachment inquiry? … And so without a clear boundary, it seems as though we’re kind of sitting on our hands.” —Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)
Those “deplorables”: “It is glaringly apparent that many who support the president’s administration are either racists, steeped in religious beliefs, ignorant, or as my mother used to say, just plain dumb. I believe the crooked ascension of Trump to the Oval Office is a gauge that measures the declining patriotic and moral values of the many citizens of America as well as being the revelation of the hidden bigotry, judgmental attitudes that yet exist in many of those who call themselves evangelicals.” —Rep. Marcia Fudge (D-OH) reading a letter from a constituent from the House floor
Braying Jenny II: “It is tiring to hear from so many sex-starved males on this floor talk about a woman’s right to choose.” —Rep. Norma Torres (D-CA)
The BIG Lie: “For eight years, there wasn’t one single hint of a scandal or a lie.” —Joe Biden on his time during the deceitful and scandal-ridden Obama regime
Belly laugh of the week: “We are defenders of the people, and we want to defend the people because we are devoted to the people. We are not here to spin things or color things a certain way.” —CNN’s Jim Acosta
Non Compos Mentis: “Curing cancer is going to be much more difficult when there’s so much climate change and pollutants in the environment because a lot of cancer is environmentally caused and this president rolls back anything that will clean the air.” —ABC’s Joy Behar on Joe Biden’s laughable promise to cure cancer if elected president
Braying Jackass: “I think he just liked being on TV. I had no sense that he was the soulless bastard that he’s turned into.” —David Letterman on having Donald Trump as a guest on his show more than 30 times in his career
Trump Derangement Syndrome: “Prayers for the powerful at the expense of the powerless, especially when the powerful in question is Trump, strike me as immoral. … With our Constitution at risk and our values on the line, praying for Trump is the last thing we should be doing.” —The Washington Post’s Jonathan Capehart
Upright: “God is sovereign, and when we pray for our presidents, we are asking that God do His will through an always imperfect man — and His will can include repentance, wisdom, and justice. Make no mistake, the command to pray for leaders was not contingent on the virtue of the leader.” —David French
For more of today’s memes, visit the Memesters Union.
For more of today’s cartoons, visit the Cartoons archive.
Join our editors and staff in daily prayer for our Patriots in uniform — Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen — standing in harm’s way in defense of Liberty, and for their families. We also humbly ask prayer for your Patriot team, that our mission would seed and encourage the spirit of Liberty in the hearts and minds of our countrymen.
Semper Vigilans Fortis Paratus et Fidelis
Nate Jackson, Managing Editor
Mark Alexander, Publisher