The Patriot Post® · Leftists Decry Trump's DOJ Weaponization 'Slush Fund'

By Nate Jackson ·
https://patriotpost.us/articles/127675-leftists-decry-trumps-doj-weaponization-slush-fund-2026-05-19

Psst… President Donald Trump has dropped a lawsuit against the IRS in favor of a Justice Department settlement that could yield payouts for his pals.

That’s how the Leftmedia is dishonestly framing the latest news. The New York Times warns that the DOJ settlement could “funnel money to Trump allies” and approvingly notes that “the arrangement was denounced by critics as a slush fund for supporters of President Trump.” Likewise, The Washington Post reports that it “could result in taxpayer payouts to the president’s allies.”

Let’s stop and ask an important question: Why would allies of the president benefit?

Oh, right — because they were the victims of the weaponization of government by the last two Democrat administrations.

Now, let’s back up a minute. Trump and other members of his family, personally and as representatives of the Trump Organization, filed a $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS because Charles “Chaz” Littlejohn, a former IRS contractor, leaked Trump’s tax returns in 2019 and 2020. Trump’s complaint also extended to the FBI raid of his Mar-a-Lago estate and the investigation of his 2016 presidential campaign over the hoax of colluding with Russia. He dropped both of those complaints, too.

“The machinery of government should never be weaponized against any American, and it is this Department’s intention to make right the wrongs that were previously done while ensuring this never happens again,” said Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche in announcing the settlement. “As part of this settlement, we are setting up a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress.”

The plaintiffs dropped the suit “with prejudice,” meaning they cannot refile the same complaints later. Neither the president nor his sons are eligible for financial relief from the fund, which is a too-cute-by-half $1,776,000,000 to celebrate America’s 250th birthday. The DOJ says that money “will come from the judgment fund, which is a perpetual appropriation allowing DOJ to settle and pay cases,” and it “shall cease processing claims no later than December 1, 2028.”

Again, the weaponization began under Barack Obama’s administration and was picked up again by Joe Biden’s administration. Ironically, the DOJ says the legal precedent for the compensatory fund stems from — wait for it — Obama’s administration. Specifically, it’s the “Keepseagle” case, “a $760 million fund to redress various claims alleging racism against the federal government over a period of decades.”

There are certainly reasons to look askance at this fund. For example, President Trump can fire any or all of its five board members without cause. January 6 rioters may be eligible for money, even after Trump’s ill-advised pardons. The post-2028 election sunset is also a wink-and-nod political game. Furthermore, this sue-and-settle model sets a precedent of its own. My biggest objection is that Trump is once again behaving like a Democrat.

Even the lawsuit itself was questionable. “It looks bad — I’m suing myself, right?” Trump acknowledged in October. “It’s interesting because I’m the one that makes a decision, and that decision would have to go across my desk,” he added. “It’s awfully strange to make a decision where I’m paying myself.” This settlement changes that, but not entirely.

In his second term, Trump has focused more on retribution than he should have, arguably continuing rather than halting the weaponization of the justice system. His persecutors should be held accountable, but to use James Comey as an example, neither indictment has been terribly strong.

It also practically hands a talking point to Democrats like Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, who panned, “This is not justice. No president should be able to use the Department of Justice as a personal rewards program for the people who helped him attack our democracy.”

That’s utter hogwash, but many will believe him.

The same goes for Senator Elizabeth Warren. “Trump is one step closer to creating a giant slush fund of taxpayer dollars for his MAGA buddies,” she posted on X. “This is corruption on steroids.”

Senator Ron Wyden, too: “What Trump wants is a $1.7 billion slush fund for right-wing political violence and subversion, and if he follows through, it will be the most brazen theft and abuse of taxpayer dollars by any president in American history.”

Did I mention that Hunter Biden is eligible for a payout?

For perspective, Trump did not collude with Russia. He did not commit a quid pro quo with Ukraine. He did not incite an insurrection. He did not commit 34 felonies, despite his conviction. He did not (try to) steal an election. He’s not guilty of virtually anything the Left has accused him of over the years, yet Democrats successfully wielded the justice system as a cudgel against him.

No payouts have been made from this fund yet, so the wisdom and prudence certainly remain to be seen. But this $1.776 billion settlement didn’t just come out of nowhere. It’s the direct result of a decade of Democrat lawfare against Donald Trump.