Breaking (0015EDST): “Geronimo-E KIA.” Osama bin Laden was killed Sunday at his Pakistan compound by JSOC’s DevGru Tier One Gold Squadron SEALs, the boys from Little Creek. OBL most likely collided with a double-tap from a Colt CM901 7.62 to the head and chest – Allahu Akbar! The squad was also carrying the H&K MP7 4.6.
Osama had been living at this compound for six years, and our intel folks have been aware of his location for at least six months, but held action pending the collection of counterterrorism intelligence regarding other al-Qa'ida operatives. Indeed, the after action has produced a mountain of intel from computers and other material collected at OBL’s compound. Though the compound was just a mile from Pakistan’s national military academy, the raid was conducted with little input from Pakistan but plenty of input from detainees interrogated by Bush administration intel folks back in 2007. In fact, our sources tell us that Pakistani military leaders were advised to “stay clear of the operation,” or suffer significant airborne “collateral damage” to military infrastructure in the area.
Within hours of the operation’s success, OBL’s remains were dumped at sea (no doubt a new fodder source for conspiracy hounds who will claim it was not Osama). As a rule of thumb, it is always good to quickly dispose of martyrs as there is a direct correlation between the time you hold a corpse and the amount of insurrection in response.
Osama’s death marks a long-awaited triumph for the United States, but it came much too late and at a very high price. Michael Scheuer, former CIA chief of the team hunting Osama bin Laden, confirmed with great disdain that SpecOps had not one but two opportunities to kill OBL before 9/11, however with Osama in their sights, literally, Bill Clinton pulled the plug on both those operations. Consequently, the 9/11 jihadis settled into U.S. suburbs under Clinton’s watch.
1. The success of this mission elevates the danger of terrorist attack on the continental U.S. because al-Qa'ida must now assert its relevance in the absence of its leader. No doubt OBL has left a written and recorded message to be played posthumously, giving charge to his adherents.
2. Announcing Osama’s death, Barack Hussein Obama claimed that in the aftermath of 9/11, “no matter what God we prayed to … we were united as one American family.” Horse pucky. There were many instances of Muslims within the U.S. expressing elation over Osama’s attack. Even Obama’s “pastor” Jeremiah “G-D America” Wright claimed, “White America got a wake-up call after 9/11. White America … came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just disappeared as the great white West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.”
3. Obama took full credit for the kill, saying, “Shortly after taking office, I [made] the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority.” Apparently Obama is under the false impression that killing Osama was a low priority for the Bush administration. Killing Osama has been a high priority since Sept. 12, 2001. For once, BHO should have “blamed Bush,” but perhaps BHO will now take full credit for everything else happening on his watch, and stop blaming Bush! No doubt, BHO will be spending the political capital of this event on his campaign with a series of high-profile campaign stops, including places like the hallowed memorial of Ground Zero.
4. Obama’s counterterrorism advisor, John Brennan, trumpeted that Obama’s decision to use SpecOps on the ground was “one of the … gutsiest calls of any president in recent memory.” Gutsy would be if Obama was point man on the assault against Osama, not making calls from his leather lounger. There were numerous error’s in Brennan’s account of the 40-minute assault, including his assertion that Osama was returning fire and using one of his wives as a human shield. OBL was not armed when he was killed and had not used a wife as a shield, but this was a “kill” not “capture” mission. As for the errors, Brennan responded, “I wasn’t there.” Indeed, he was not.
5. OBL’s demise is a notable success in the world war against Islamists, albeit a small victory in the Long War against Muslim hatred. While his Capture or Kill file can be closed, we have a long fight ahead. Next up, native son of New Mexico, Anwar al-Awlaki, Osama’s chief lieutenant, also hiding out in Pakistan. Better yet, Ayman Al-Zawahri, please call home.
Footnote: Announcing the news … Geraldo Rivera’s lead into his show: “Obama is dead and I don’t care.” Not to be outdone, an MSNBC reporter tweeted, “Obama killed in Pakistan!” (Teddy Kennedy, who regularly confused Obama and Osama, would be so proud!)
Start a conversation using these share links: