Senility Isn’t an Attractive Trait for a President
Is that the sound of shrieking panic coming from DNC headquarters?
“Joe Biden’s going to be fine,” Vice President Kamala Harris confidently told an interviewer this week, so the idea that she’ll have to take over for him “is not going to come to fruition.”
But then she said the quiet part out loud.
“Let us also understand,” Harris added, “that every vice president — every vice president — understands that when they take the oath that they must be very clear about the responsibility they may have to take over the job of being president. I am no different.”
Translation: The soon-to-be 81-year-old Joe Biden is not going to be fine. In fact, he’s already not fine, and he wasn’t fine when 81 million* people voted for him in 2020. We said so at the time.
Despite Biden’s April launch of his reelection campaign to “finish the job,” we’ve asserted for quite some time that Biden will not be the Democrat nominee in 2024. How that plays out remains to be seen, but Harris isn’t exactly anyone’s favorite substitute. No one likes her and she loses in head-to-head polling with several GOP challengers.
Biden’s age is now a regular topic of discussion in the news. For example, on Tuesday, he inexplicably hustled out of a Medal of Honor ceremony for Captain Larry Taylor before it was over. The White House
explained lied that Biden’s early exit was “planned” and that “the president spent a good amount of time with the captain and his family.” Fact-check: He didn’t, which our Mark Alexander knows firsthand. Besides, it hardly looks better for Biden that he purposely snubbed Taylor during the ceremony.
More Americans are wondering how he can possibly run for, much less serve, a second term. In fact, strong majorities of Democrat rank-and-file are increasingly willing to tell pollsters that they’re concerned about Biden’s age and condition, and two-thirds of them don’t want him to run again. Overall, 76% of Americans are “seriously concerned” about Biden’s age. The other 24% aren’t paying attention.
It’s not just age. A new CNN poll reveals that 61% of Americans see through Joe Biden’s lies and the Leftmedia wagon-circling and believe that the (very) elder Biden had at least “some” involvement with his son Hunter’s shady business dealings. Some 42% say that activity was illegal, and another 18% say it was “unethical, but not illegal.”
Then there’s the economy. That CNN poll indicates that 58% of Americans believe Bidenomics has made their economic situation worse. Yet there’s CNN huffing in his defense, “By almost any objective measure, Americans are doing much better economically than they were nearly three years ago, when President Joe Biden took office.”
Any objective measure except for all the ones regular people use to gauge how they’re doing. CNN thinks we’re just a bunch of ignorant ingrates.
Heck, it’s gotten so bad that the CNN poll shows that 46% of registered voters say any Republican would be an improvement over Biden, while just 32% say the opposite. Every major Republican candidate either beats or is tied with Biden head-to-head right now with the exception of Vivek Ramaswamy. Even the intensely hated and oft-indicted Donald Trump is leading Biden by one point. For context, Trump never led Biden in a single CNN poll in 2020.
Notably, Biden leads Trump among nonwhite voters by just 58-34. That’s catastrophic for Democrats.
Democrats used four indictments to elevate Trump to the GOP nomination, thinking they could beat him yet again. It’s possible they overplayed their hand.
Now for a caveat the size of Biden’s ego: We’re a political lifetime from Election
Day Season 2024, and an awful lot can and will still happen. We’re also a political eternity from 1984, when Ronald Reagan turned his age (73) into an advantage by hilariously teasing challenger Walter Mondale that he was “not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s youth and inexperience.”
Start a conversation using these share links: