Biden’s Record-Shattering Border Crisis Worsens
The president’s failed policies have created the crisis at the southern border.
By the Republican National Committee
THE WORST MONTH AT THE BORDER ON RECORD
- Trying to hide just how bad the crisis at the border has become, the Biden administration released December border numbers in a late Friday night news dump.
- Customs and Border Protection (CBP) data shows 251,487 illegal immigrants were apprehended attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border in December, making this the highest total for December in DHS history.
- That is a 366 percent increase from the average number of November apprehensions during the Trump administration.
- 12,298 unaccompanied childrenwere apprehended.
- At least 38 people on the terror watchlist have been apprehended trying to enter the U.S. between ports of entry so far this fiscal year, including 17 in December.
- 170,512 illegal immigrantswere apprehended from countries outside the Northern Triangle and Mexico, showing that Biden’s crisis is global.
5.6 million illegal immigrants have crossed the border since Biden took office.
- This includes the more than 5 million illegal immigrants that Customs and Border Protection has apprehended and the 1.1 million gotaways that have escaped past Border Patrol into the U.S.
- Border officials say that the official number of gotaways vastly undercounts the illegal immigrants who make it into the U.S.
- Despite this ongoing crisis, Kamala Harris still claims “we have a secure border.”
- Biden has installed a de facto amnesty program in which nearly 50,000 illegal immigrants have had their cases dismissed in court due to his administration’s failure to file the proper paperwork.
- Homeland Security Investigations estimates that Mexican cartels are now making $13 billion a year smuggling illegal immigrants into the U.S, 26 times what they made in 2018.
DRUGS ARE POURING OVER THE BORDER INTO OUR COMMUNITIES
- Illicit drugs are flowing into the country at an alarming rate, with only 5 to 10 percent being intercepted as border officials struggle to contain the smuggling.
- 2,414 pounds of deadly fentanyl and 10,308 pounds of methamphetamine were seized at the southern border in December alone, with much more getting through.
- Joshua Sharfstein of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: “If they’re seizing a lot, it’s because a lot is coming in.”
- The amount of fentanyl seized in November is the equivalent of more than 547 million lethal doses.
Deadly rainbow fentanyl, which is designed by cartels to target children and teens, has been increasingly caught crossing the border and is now in at least 26 states.
- Agents have also recently seen a rise in “speckled” or tie-dye fentanyl.
- Six out of every 10 tablets analyzed by the DEA contains a lethal dose of fentanyl.
Fentanyl is now the leading cause of death for Americans age 18 to 45, with the number killed by the drug up 94 percent since 2019.
- Of the record 107,000 fatal drug overdoses in 2021, two-thirds involved fentanyl – on average, one person in the U.S. dies from a fentanyl overdose every seven minutes.
- The DEA seized more than double the amount of fentanyl-laced, fake prescription pills in 2022 than it seized in 2021.
- In just the first three months of FY 2023, the Nogales, Arizona port of entry has already seized more fentanyl than the entire previous fiscal year, which was a record year.
BIDEN IGNORES THE SOUTHERN BORDER AS HIS HUMANITARIAN CATASTROPHE WORSENS
- Only after two years of intense criticism did Biden finally relent and go to the border for a “tightly controlled visit” criticized as nothing more than a “dog and pony show.”
- Biden previously said the crisis wasn’t worthy of his attention, saying there are “more important things” than visiting the southern border.
- Ahead of Biden’s visit, El Paso cleared the streets of makeshift homeless camps to maintain optics rather than address the reality of the border crisis.
- Meanwhile, Border Patrol agents are left demoralized and “beyond frustrated” by the Biden administration’s handling of the crisis.
- Despite Biden’s promise of a “fair and humane immigration system,” his open border policies aren’t compassionate; they are deadly.
- Earlier this month in southern New Mexico, a suspected human smuggler shot a Border Patrol agent in the chest in an attempt to get away, later rolling the car in a crash and leaving two others severely injured.
- Two weeks ago in Santa Teresa, New Mexico, two died and eight others were injured in a rollover crash, with the vehicle suspected to be involved in a human smuggling operation.
- Last week near Eagle Pass, Texas, nine illegal immigrants were found locked in a rail car, all suffering from dehydration and heat exhaustion.
- Unaccompanied children have become a “painfully common sight” at the southern border, with three young girls – aged one, six, and nine years old – recently found abandoned near the Rio Grande.
- Sex offenders are also coming across the border, with Border Patrol arresting four convicted sex offenders – three of which whose records involve minors – in just the first week of January.
BIDEN AND DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS ARE TO BLAME FOR THE BORDER CRISIS
- Biden’s failed policies have created the crisis at the southern border.
- In Biden’s first 100 days he took more than 94 executive actions on immigration, including halting construction of the border wall and ending the successful “Remain in Mexico” policy.
- Illegal immigrants have confirmed this: “The border is open…everybody believes that the border is open. It’s open because we enter. We come in, free, no problem…We came illegally.”
- Meanwhile, a new training video from ICE reveals the Biden administration lost at least 150,000 illegal immigrants during the summer of 2021.
- With the border left wide open, fears are mounting that dangerous cartel inmates part of a recent Mexican prison break will take advantage and flee into the U.S.
- It’s not just Biden; Democrats in Congress have consistently voted for policies that make the border and country less secure.
- Democrats aided sanctuary cities and sent stimulus checks to illegal immigrants, opposed legislation to fund Title 42, and repeatedly voted against funding the border wall.
- Democrats voted against hiring more border agents, deporting felons, preventing illegal immigrants convicted of crimes from becoming permanent residents — and voted against strengthening the successful Remain in Mexico policy.
- Democrats voted against funding for counternarcotic operations and ensuring the enforcement of immigration laws at the border.
- Democrats voted against ensuring all local and state law enforcement are permitted to cooperate with federal immigration officials to track illegal immigrants.
- A recent Los Angeles Times/YouGov poll found that more Americans oppose Biden’s immigration policies than support them.
Start a conversation using these share links: